Thread: Vxd720

Thanks

Default Vxd720

I've been doing a lot of thinking. I want to start playing around with trbo. However I don't make tones of money. And I've been looking to sell my p25 gear.

Would the vdx720 be a good starter radio? Are there any of you that have used these radios?

Thanks

For using it on a system like DMR-MARC, for the average person you would be hard pressed to find any difference between a VXD-720 and a XPR6550

The main differences are no GPS, no roaming (not a problem for hams), 512 channel limit. It would be a great DMR starter radio.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfr334 View Post
    For using it on a system like DMR-MARC, for the average person you would be hard pressed to find any difference between a VXD-720 and a XPR6550

The main differences are no GPS, no roaming (not a problem for hams), 512 channel limit. It would be a great DMR starter radio.
    Thanks! Yea I don't care about roaming or GPS. Iirc the 720 is basically a 6500.

Hole reason I am looking at a 720 is basically its cheaper and software is free from what I hear.

Thanks

Yup even electrically there is no difference, ive taken both apart side by side and compared boards....theres no difference...just the firmware

Its basically dealers discretion if they want to provide you the software or not, shouldnt be a problem..... for $450 bucks or so for a brand new trbo radios with 3 year warranty hard to go wrong

Thanks
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mfr334 View Post
    Yup even electrically there is no difference, ive taken both apart side by side and compared boards....theres no difference...just the firmware

Its basically dealers discretion if they want to provide you the software or not, shouldnt be a problem..... for $450 bucks or so for a brand new trbo radios with 3 year warranty hard to go wrong
    Several folks are using them around here on the Hytera DMR ham system, and they are a great entry gateway into DMR.
    As far as software, Vertex CPS "or Clone Editor" as they call it, is all over the place. Side by side, it looks identical to MotoTRBO CPS, only the names have been changed to protect the innocent (or guilty).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000DES View Post
    Several folks are using them around here on the Hytera DMR ham system, and they are a great entry gateway into DMR.
    As far as software, Vertex CPS "or Clone Editor" as they call it, is all over the place. Side by side, it looks identical to MotoTRBO CPS, only the names have been changed to protect the innocent (or guilty).

Awesome! My old employer just ordered me one up so I should have a 720 some time next week hopefully. There isn't much DMR stuff by me maybe a few counties over and there are some down in NYC. One of the local clubs has a XPR repeater on the air in analog mode right now. I know they want to get the firmware updated so they can run it in dual mode which would be pretty cool.

Thanks

I have a VXD720. So far so good. Nice little radio that sounds much better than ham equipment... IMO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travisstorma View Post
    I have a VXD720. So far so good. Nice little radio that sounds much better than ham equipment... IMO.
    I picked up mine Thursday from my dealer and so far I like it. Does anyone know what the current firmware is? My radio is running 01.07.xx I signed up for a VSOL account just can't log in yet. They say my account is active but however it won't let me log in.