Thread: Can't talk to MTC3600 CPCI-6020 CPU board

Chef Flambe No Longer Registered

Default Can't talk to MTC3600 CPCI-6020 CPU board

Never mind... figured it out. Now how do I delete a post?!!!??!!

Have a used MTC3600 with a CPU card (CPCI-6020).
    I'm running the BETS software package to configure a MTC3600 CPCI-6020 CPU card but it won't respond.

When I put in a known good card it will respond. So I know my cables and adapters are good.

I've checked for jumper settings and that all looks good.

Only thing I can see is that this card is an older Rev. and doesn't have the flashy red insets on the pull tabs.

Anyone have an idea as to why it won't respond or go through the manual reset.

Normally I'd just say we have a bad card but as I have two cards of the same vintage and niether work I'm thinking it might be something else. I'd like to rule out simple mistakes on my part.

Thanks
    Last edited by Chef Flambe; Jun 07, 2013 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks

As I'm learning as I go on this old stuff, I'm curious what the issue was.

Chef Flambe No Longer Registered

Someone told me the adapter I was using was the correct one as they had used it before and it worked for them. I didn't bother to double check that they were correct.

Never assume what you're being told is always correct. Verify all test equipment to confirm the fault is not your cables or the adapters.

The issue I was having is that the BETS software talks to the MTC 3600 via serial and sets up the TCP/IP address then does file transfers via ethernet. Problem is that the BETS software has a default of hiding all the serial communications when it runs the MTC 3600 script. Normally you'd be able to see in the background all communication like in a Hyperterm window. It wasn't until I found where I could re-enable the viewing of the chatter that I realized what was happening and where things went sideways.

Once I could see where things would hang I could make some educated guesses as to what was going on. I was only getting the Rx of the serial port and not Tx anything. Changed out the adapter to a different one that I found and presto, it worked.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

CPCI-6020 has the RJ45 type COM port on it, IIRC. The MCP750 had the DB9. I recall having to have a specific adaptor for the RS232 port on my laptop to talk to the CPCI-6020. It wasn't the same as anything else.

BETS is a pain in the ass. It was designed for Windows95/Windows98 machines specifically. Procomm always craps out on installation, and their included TFTP server software is CRAP. I ended up having to "do it my own way" with a different TFTP program.

You have to think of it this way: The serial connection is nothing more than a console interface to send commands to the machine and view the results. Actual file transfer, as you know, is done over ethernet by way of a crossover cable.

The last thing I'd want to do is mess with those BETS scripts. I purposefully keep an OLD laptop around JUST for reloading centrals if/when.

Thanks

We keep a serial cable with our CSCs specifically for them. I count myself lucky that I've only had to load ACE cards at this point. Messed around with that BETS software and what a POS. I wish they'd update it to something either more supportive of current hardware or at least less ghetto.

The ACE cards have an RJ45, can't remember offhand if it is serial or ethernet. I've not had to deal with one lately which is a blessing.

Thanks

Well keep in mind the MTC 3600 is long gone. There won't be any further hardware/software development on it. With SMARTNET being a thing of the past (MotoTRBO Connect Plus taking it's place), they have no reason to continue working on the MTC platform. Though I've never worked with one, I believe there is also an MTC 9600 that was used in Astro25 6.x systems.

The DIAG port on the front of the ACE is serial. You connect to it at 9600 8-N-1 and it allows you to monitor status of the cards, upload firmware, and perform some other diagnostic functions (squelch settings, etc).

The CPX2000 that MTC 9600 consists of is nothing more than a multiprocessor industrial computer (commonly available on the used market, actually) with custom cards in it (RIC/ACE/PAM/NPAM/PAR/LSB).

It was a fine product that was relatively trouble free, but like it's older brother the 6809, God help you if it went offline and you weren't prepared. And preparation consisted of spare cards, a properly configured laptop, THE PROPER SYSTEM SOFTWARE CD (do you know where yours is?), and the knowledge to use all of it. I made some kickass double-time the first time I had to reload one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    It was a fine product that was relatively trouble free, but like it's older brother the 6809, God help you if it went offline and you weren't prepared.
    Amen. We sold 4 of these between 2006-2009 and 3 of them have had the RIB (repeater interface board) crap out (symptom - radios cannot access system, squelch light in MTC on solid) which was an easy swap once you figured out what was wrong, and the same 3 have had the CPU board go down...that was a lot of fun at 1am having never swapped & reloaded one before...thank goodness Motorola has personnel available 24/7 for things like that!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-T View Post
    Amen. We sold 4 of these between 2006-2009 and 3 of them have had the RIB (repeater interface board) crap out (symptom - radios cannot access system, squelch light in MTC on solid) which was an easy swap once you figured out what was wrong, and the same 3 have had the CPU board go down...that was a lot of fun at 1am having never swapped & reloaded one before...thank goodness Motorola has personnel available 24/7 for things like that!
    Indeed. The things are somewhat self-aware, and will choose to go offline at the most inopportune time for the service technician.