Thread: MTS2000 and rebanding

Thanks

Default MTS2000 and rebanding

I programmed an MTS2000 for non-affiliate monitoring from instructions found on this website. I used CPS R02-03-00. The radio supposedly has firmware R08.73.

The systems I programmed are all rebanded systems, but one of them doesn't work. The systems that work fine have frequencies that are like this: xxx.x125; xxx.x375; xxx.x625; and xxx.x875. The one that doesn't work has frequencies that end in xxx.x25; xxx.x50; and xxx.x75. It sounds like a rebanding issue, but I want to be sure. Is there a special setting that needs to be set in CPS for this to work? Or could it be that the radio actually has older firmware that doesn't support rebanding? If I park on one of these talkgroups, I get the "Out of Range" message; if there is a conversation, I get some background noise that ends when the transmission ends, then back to "Out of Range".

(The "Rebanding Enabled" checkbox in CPS is checked).

Thanks!

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

When you are just sitting in monitor mode does it flash "OUT OF RANGE" instead of displaying it solidly? If so your system may be using "Shuffle". That's a rare feature to obscure trunked systems from scannerheads but of course the scanner MFR's came out with something to defeat it in a few weeks of it's introduction. You can check your system definition in the RR database and if it's shuffled it should mention the fact. If so, you have a problem - first, I don't think the Jedi supports shuffled systems, and second, the shuffle stuff hasn't been worked around for Moto radios themselves, only scanners.

The only other settings I can think of that might affect this are "Splinter freqs" or "Non US/NA band plan" switches in the trunked system definition screen, they should both be deselected, AFAIK. The older freqs ending in .xx25, etc. are on 5/2.5 kHz steps and the others .x375 etc. are on 12.5/6.25 KHz steps, I believe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    When you are just sitting in monitor mode does it flash "OUT OF RANGE" instead of displaying it solidly? If so your system may be using "Shuffle". That's a rare feature to obscure trunked systems from scannerheads but of course the scanner MFR's came out with something to defeat it in a few weeks of it's introduction. You can check your system definition in the RR database and if it's shuffled it should mention the fact. If so, you have a problem - first, I don't think the Jedi supports shuffled systems, and second, the shuffle stuff hasn't been worked around for Moto radios themselves, only scanners.

The only other settings I can think of that might affect this are "Splinter freqs" or "Non US/NA band plan" switches in the trunked system definition screen, they should both be deselected, AFAIK. The older freqs ending in .xx25, etc. are on 5/2.5 kHz steps and the others .x375 etc. are on 12.5/6.25 KHz steps, I believe.
    Thanks for the reply Alpha.

There is a checkbox in the CPS Advanced Trunking Options to select "Shuffled bandplan", and one to select "Splinter Channel"; They are both unchecked. I did try the "Splinter Channel" thing, but it didn't resolve the issue. One more thing I can try is to change the "Channel Bandwidth" from 25.0 KHz to 12.5 KHz.; this particular system contains a mix of the older and newer channels.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

OK, it looks like the MTS did support shuffle, but you can't tell for sure if the system uses it unless you're looking at the codeplug of a properly authorized radio that's programmed onto the system in question. Shuffle is turned on via an ASK (hardware advanced system key) and if the system requires it that box gets ticked automatically, you can't edit it. And you can't turn it on manually, it requires the ASK to implement, which means if the system in question is shuffled, you're out of luck unless you know someone with the authorized ASK that can turn on the system in your radio for you. But again, a symptom of this is blinking "OUT OF RANGE" (not steady) and can be confirmed (hopefully) thru RR.

The channel bandwidth thing may be it. Now that you mention it with the narrowbanding change, I think I need to reprogram a bunch of my radios too. The trunked systems seem to still come in OK, but I think they are all narrow now, AFAIK.
    Last edited by Alpha; Jun 08, 2013 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks

I just changed the bandwidth setting for this system from 25.0 to 12.5 KHz, and this didn't solve the problem. So I have more research to do!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 675 Posts

Are you using our non-affiliate scanning instructions for the MTS2000 or our passive scanning instructions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    Are you using our non-affiliate scanning instructions for the MTS2000 or our passive scanning instructions?
    I am using the method posted by you, in post number three of this thread:
    https://www.p25.ca/threads/2885-No-A...n-Instructions

Works fine except for this one issue.

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 857 Posts

You know, there's no real reason to use no-affiliate scan method with an MTS2000.

You can simply program the concentric switch to Tx Inhibit for both positions and simply program your trunked modes as normal channels.

The no-affiliate scan method is intended for use on P25 9600 systems where the radio would attempt to affiliate if it is allowed to "sit" on a trunked talkgroup.

You can, of course, use the method with your MTS2000... but it isn't necessary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
    You know, there's no real reason to use no-affiliate scan method with an MTS2000.

You can simply program the concentric switch to Tx Inhibit for both positions and simply program your trunked modes as normal channels.

The no-affiliate scan method is intended for use on P25 9600 systems where the radio would attempt to affiliate if it is allowed to "sit" on a trunked talkgroup.

You can, of course, use the method with your MTS2000... but it isn't necessary.
    I actually did use the TX Inhibit concentric switch method; I mistakenly referred to it as the no affiliate method, when they are really two different methods.

Thanks

Disregard: Problem solved. It turns out that my firmware is version R06.58, and not R08.73 that I thought. Since 06.58 doesn't support rebanding, I either need to live with it or upgrade the firmware.

Thanks

(Posts crossed in the ether).

Good; that's the correct approach. You also have the latest firmware and the radio is rebanded. Everything points to a control channel issue. Also, make sure that you are not trying to use smartzone.
    Last edited by Number 6; Jun 09, 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks

Have Mars upgrade the firmware for you. It's worth it.