Thread: HMN4104B Woes

Thanks

Question HMN4104B Woes

Have an agency with a few APX7Ks and they went and picked up some HMN4104B display RSMs. The APXs have a "modified" flashcode via Depot and work fine without these RSMs attached. When they're on, though, it gets weird.

One radio has no RX audio or tones, no PTT on the RSM, but the radio PTT works and takes the audio from the RSM.
    Another has no RX audio or tones but both PTTs work and TX audio comes from the RSM. The displays function properly on both.

I get the same results when testing with my known-good PMMN4062A (plain-jane RSM).

Hooked them up to my shop APX and they function properly so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the RSMs themselves. I've compared settings in Radio Wide and Radio Ergo and can't find anything of issue (disabled the Bluetooth that they'd turned on since it's in the flash but no option board, turned off External Accy Enable) so I'm kinda wondering if this might have to do with their "heritage?"

--mws

Thanks

Well where do I start,

1 No agency should have APX's that have been mucked around in with Depot unless it was done by Motorola.
    2 If these are ALT radios, which I can tell by the symptoms they are NO AGENCY SHOULD BE USING THEM. PERIOD!

ALT radios are fine for Hams, Whackers or radio enthusiasts but they have **** tons of issues with them. They more than likely need the expansion board replaced. Or at least removed and reseated.

<RANT>God I hope when you said Agency you didn't mean a first responder.</RANT>
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Yeah, it all screams hardware issue, might well be ALT radios.

They'll be going back to them with notes to this effect.

Thanks

All three have signs of internal water damage. Owner was told to take them back and haggle with their vendor or roll the dice and send them to the real depot.

Thanks

This is the type of situation that makes these cheap $2000 ALT APX's from EBAY a problem. They are all well and good for a hobbyist but should NEVER be used for a first responder.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks
    Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,028 Posts

I wonder what the tags look like??

Thanks

I'm sure not like these