Thread: KVL3000 "no algo available"

Thanks

Default KVL3000 "no algo available"

As the title says, I have a KVL3000 (not the plus unit) which is showing "no algo available" upon power up & when trying to enter a key. It did have the DES/XL/OFB in it. It basically sat in a closet for years on end, and when the customer dusted it off to encrypt the XTS2500 units they bought to replace their XTS3000's, this is what it did.

I've confirmed the Motorola depot in Toronto no longer supports the KVL3000...it needs to be a plus unit for them to support it.

Has anyone here seen this issue, and have any suggestions for fixing the unit? Thanks.

- Ice

Thanks

Sounds like the DES algo is turned off. I don't recall the exact menus but there is a spot to turn algo's on and off.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks
    Thanked 8,774 Times in 2,404 Posts

I am able to service this unit.

In the KVL3000, the active algorithms (which ones are active/paid for) are stored on the AT28C010 serial EEPROM. This is a PLCC package. It is not socketed and must be removed from circuit for reprogramming or replacement.

I don't want to jump to conclusion and rule the cause as EEPROM failure just yet. If it was corrupt, the KVL3000 would tell you the "KVL database is corrupt, do you wish to fix? yes/no?" upon powerup. This is due to checksum failure.

Hard to verify this is the problem without actually rewriting/reflashing the EEPROM and testing for resolution, but this is where the algorithm provisioning is defined. You can reinitialize the KVL database by holding SHIFT, then pressing ENTER. It will bring up a confirmation dialogue as to whether you wish to proceed. (Let us know if this works)

The algorithms themselves are contained in the firmware; the EEPROM is like a codeplug of sorts.

Note: This theory applies only to the KVL3000. The PLUS is much different.

I'm happy to look at it for you. Shoot me an email and we can discuss further. mars (at) P25 (dot) ca.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I wish I saw these things more than once every 3 years or so on average, I can never remember anything about them, lol. The coin cell had gone flat, which I knew, but I thought it would only lose it's keys...turns out it went to a 'default' state where it did indeed have the algorithm disabled. I went through the config menus & found where to enable it & all seems good, although I haven't used it on a radio yet. Thanks again, and good to know you can service it Mars if there is an issue.