Thread: Poor Recieve on XTS3000

isarchief No Longer Registered

Default Poor Recieve on XTS3000

Hi everyone. First I want to thank the creator and moderators for this site!! As a defunct firefighter/paramedic due to a major injury, I got into scanning a few years ago to stay connected with my former profession. I always used RR, but as my area moved to P25, RR became angry with questions about using a moto radio to monitor a system, and even more angry with questions about encryption. After about a year without a radio that would monitor my P25 system, I stumbled on your site. What a great find!!!! Now I have a radio, programed and listening to the system with the no affiliation method. I am however having a problem where the radio does not receive all transmissions that I see on trunk tracker using an SDR dongle on a P25 800mhz system. Does anyone have any ideas why this happens, and what I could do to fix it? I have attached my codeplugUC ONLY.cpg in case anyone can detect a problem there. Thanks....

Thanks

Hi - I've seen the same thing on my XTS3000 and I've tried every combination of settings I could think of to solve the issue. I also tried programming the radio to to affiliate and found that it then never misses a call, but that defeats the purpose of using the no affiliation method of scanning.

Bottom line, based on my experiments and some related posts I found on the internet, it appears that the XTS3000 will occasionally miss trunked calls if it is not affiliated with the group being scanned.

OK, thanks for the info. I don't want to possibly interfere with anything, so I'll just take what I can get.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by isarchief View Post
    OK, thanks for the info. I don't want to possibly interfere with anything, so I'll just take what I can get.
    Are you using the TX Inhibit method or scanning from conventional channels?

Thanks

I used Tx inhibit in my experiments.

kb2qou No Longer Registered

If your receiving some of transmissions, one problem is the radio may need a tuneup. I had the same problem with my XTS 3000 III. Sent it into the /\/\oto depot for firmware upgrade, test & tune and now works great! The other XTS 3000 I have were out of whack anywhere from 1kHz to 4kHz before going in for maintenance.

Number 6, I am using the hidden TG method that you wrote. 16 conv ch mapped to hidden 16 TGs.

Thanks

Number 6, I am using the hidden TG method that you wrote. 16 conv ch mapped to hidden 16 TGs.
    No need to use that approach on an XTS3000; use the TX Inhibit approach instead.

I tried that, but the cps will not let me. It bonks when I choose Aff on PTT and turns the field red, even when Type is set to disabled for smartzone. On the P25 system it does not give me the option for PTT only, its completely grayed out. Any suggestions on what I may have set wrong?

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

He's telling you to setup the concentric switch or a menu item for TX Inhibit.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

I tried that first but i just get "out of range". The only way i found to actually receive anything was with the hidden tg method.

Thanks

I tried that first but i just get "out of range". The only way i found to actually receive anything was with the hidden tg method.
    It will work, so you probably do not have the programming set up correctly. You would program your radio as if it was going to be used on the trunking system but program all concentric positions for TX Inhibit. If you get an "out of range message" you are not selecting the TG and system correctly, or their programming is incorrect.

Sorry for such a late response... My laptop died and had to be repaired. I made a fresh install and now using the Tx inhibit method for xts3K and I do not get the "out of range" any more. The little antenna shows the system is being monitored. However; It never unmutes and I never hear any traffic, even on busy talkgroups. Any ideas what I may be screwing up?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,773 Times in 2,404 Posts

You can't use TX inhibit to monitor a 9600 system. Use the conventional scan/non-affiliation method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. Thanks MARS. I am now hearing the system but not always, and sometimes garbled. Seems like I have poor Rx. Any ideas how I can help the rx of the radio? MARS, do you offer alignments?
    Last edited by isarchief; Jun 27, 2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: bad spelling