Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Fail 01/82

psteele35 No Longer Registered

Angry HELP! Fail 01/82

I have an ASTRO Spectra W9. I was driving home two days ago and the radio would "boop" for no good reason. I happened to catch the display and it was showing a "FAIL 001". I shut the truck off when I got home and the next morning is where it went bad. I started the truck, the radio fired up and went into self check. It then went into "FAIL 01/82.

I've tried writing the radio with 3 different archived codeplugs. The CPS seems to be writing to the radio ok as I get the message at the end saying the write was successful but the radio immediately goes back into "FAIL 01/82".

Is this radio drawer dead? Are there any other tips and/or tricks I can try to get it back to life?

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Has it ever been recapped?
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 487 Posts

I believe the recap is more for Spectras rather than Astro Spectras. The fail 001 is a vco issue and the 82 is a eeprom issue I am suspecting a bad connection. First thing to do is remove the vocon from the command board and then check the connections for dirt etc. I would also remove the command board and check for dirt and other "garbage" under it. Since it it the command board that connects to both the Vocon and to the rest of the radio (VCO etc) I would suspect the issue is with it or a connection. The fact the radio accepted the program correctly supports this.

Thanks

A bad rf board will also give the fail 001 code. Astro Spectra is old enough now to have cap problems. i have recapped some that have shown signs of leakage but little to no board damage.

Thanks

VCO out of lock and RF board fail willcause FAIL001
    Reprogram codeplug or reprogram EEPROM can solve F01/82

Thanks

It looks like two issues. The reprogramming may not resolve the fail 001 issue. If 001 is intermittent he may have an rf board that needs attention as well.

Thanks

Since the 2 issues occured at the same time I still hold out for a connection issue.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

You may have corrupted internal memory (tuning area). If so, a normal codeplug write with CPS will not fix it, as it doesn't write the tuning areas when writing to the radio. It reads it when you read the radio but it ignores the first 0x200 bytes of the codeplug which is where the tuning values are. If this gets corrupt you can only restore the radio by either a Depot write with a brand new codeplug, or an s-record write where the ENTIRE codeplug is written to the radio. This would also account for the FAIL 001 if the radio base band got changed to something other than what it should be, i.e. it thinks it's a VHF or some other band now.

Thanks

I agree with either two previous postings. That would be the simple and most likely solution. However, my experience tells me that as old as these are getting, one must consider the possibility of caps.

if the suggestions from the two previous postings do not resolve the issue try looking at the rf board. C635 .10uf +- 20% 16v electrolytic cap. This one normally give me headaches. Look at the other three .10uf and the solo.47uf cap as well.

God Luck

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

The cap issue affected both analog and Astro Spectras.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

I guess I'll start by pulling the radio apart. Replacing the caps and the tuning and s-record stuff is beyond anything I've ever done. Is there anyone here that can provide that service at a decent price?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I would not do ANYTHING until you put a good valid codeplug in the radio! You will waste time and money re-capping it if it's not needed. You will have to replace the codeplug in the radio anyway to alleviate the 1/82 fail, so you might want to hold off on changing any hardware until you are reasonably sure you actually NEED to.

I've tried several different archived codeplugs and I keep getting the FAIL 01/82. I guess at this point... is it worth spending the money to have someone re-cap it (and possibly not fix the problem) or should I just look for a new drawer unit?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

No, you still haven't recovered the memory in the radio. Somehow you are not putting valid codeplugs or S-records into the radio, and it's still coming up with memory corrupted errors. You need to get that fixed before you can even determine whether or not you have VCO/synth/RF deck/Bad Cap issues.

You need to read up a bit on how to edit and push s-records to the radios, or seek help from someone who knows how to do it. If you can't figure it out, Mars or one of the other users here can probably fix it for you, but it still sounds like you might be able to fix this yourself. Take things one step at a time.

It is my understanding that lab software is required to obtain the s-record from a codeplug. I don't have that software... so am I stuck with having to pay someone to work on my radio?

Thanks

You are correct Lab software is required BUT it has been mentioned numerous times in various posts that MTSX v3.00.02 will read and write srecords for the ASTRO Spectra. If you do a bit of searching on this site you should find all the info you need to work with srecords and get a good codeplug into your radio.

vortexxx No Longer Registered

I have same problem, when I write to xts, Cps is not responding and windows restart, I cant download mtsx lab.... what I make wrong? Notarola please help.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vortexxx View Post
    I have same problem, when I write to xts, Cps is not responding and windows restart, I cant download mtsx lab.... what I make wrong? Notarola please help.
    You need to give us more information. Is this not common sense?

- Operating System
    - Version of CPS
    - What cables are you using? Aftermarket, or Motorola RIB with proper cable?
    - Why is Windows restarting? This makes no sense.

Looking forward to more information about your setup/issue.

windows xp sp1
    cps 5.03.
    Ribles cable from ebay
    Programm not respond after cheking codeplug, and 2 minute later windows restarting, maybe I need down antivirus before start flashing?
    xts 3000 uhf model 2

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 2,413 Posts

I'd be suspecting the cable before anything else. Has it worked before, or with other radios?

cable works fine, but on my frends notebook. On my comp this cable read fine, but writing........ and I have yet 1/82.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vortexxx View Post
    windows xp sp1
    cps 5.03.
    Ribles cable from ebay
    Programm not respond after cheking codeplug, and 2 minute later windows restarting, maybe I need down antivirus before start flashing?
    xts 3000 uhf model 2
    Are you using a real serial port that's built into the computer or a USB to serial converter?
    If your computer is rebooting all by itself I would try to get that solved before I worried about anything else. This may fall more into the category of general computer advice, but if you suspect that you have a virus on your computer, don't mess with trying to clean it off with an antivirus program. Back up any essential files (you should be doing this regularly anyway), wipe the computer and re-install. And while you're at it, upgrade to Windows XP SP3. There's no reason to be running SP1 unless you're using some bootleg/illegitimate copy of Windows. If that's the case I'd say it's highly likely that you have a virus on your computer since Windows updates won't work at all.

Many thanks, but I dont worry about comp, I cant repare xts, what I can do? I have more xts but flash code is not same.

Thanks

Replace EEPROM with codeplug correct image.
    Or swop controller board. I have some board in stock.
    Last edited by xts2500; Aug 06, 2013 at 04:28 PM.

And how much board? xts 3000 mode 2