Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: APX 7000 Audio Speaker Question

Thanks

Default APX 7000 Audio Speaker Question

So if I am in a quiet room and listening to a trunking system I notice when a talkgroup opens up the radio has an audio zap tap noise that comes out of the speaker when the speaker opens up for conversation. Its just a single tap noise. When the conversation on the radio ends I do not hear that audio tap.

I dont notice that single tap noise on my xts5000. Not sure if that is normal on the APX7000 since the speaker is a high power speaker which is awesome.

The only reason I am asking is I was wondering if anybody hears that slight tap noise when a talkgroup opens up. I am using the hidden talkgroup method too which works just fine with these radios. Some minor tweaking and getting use to the software was pretty easy. Love the radio. The speaker is just so amazing. Just a little irritating with that open talkgroup audio zap tap at the beginning of the conversation.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,389 Times in 2,315 Posts

Mine does the same thing. Poor audio amp design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks Mars..... I guess its a design flaw at this point..... It only happens when the conversation opens up. End of conversation doesn't do it.

Thanks

My APX only has a click noise on a subscriber never have heard it on dispatch. It so quite of a low frequency and amplitude pop sound, that it doesnt seem to bother me or ever notice it. I do seem to notice more on ther mobiles than portables. I am an affiliated user of the system not sure if that would make a difference, Dought it.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

The sound happens only at beginning of transmission. Sounds much like the Spectra audio-amp "POP" or "THUD". I mentioned it to my buddy about two years ago (he also has APX) and he thinks I'm crazy.

I really don't think it's asking much for the speaker to not make a loud CLICK (DC bias), considering Moto sells that radio upwards of $5000 new.

Thanks

Hello all! Thanks to Mars & all the other moderators & admins that make this site so great. I’m trying to get some posts recorded for the books so hopefully you guys don’t mind if I tack a message on here!

I noticed this also happens with the much lower-grade Commercial Series CP portables (the "POP" / "THUD" with those… I always thought of it more a POW myself ).

I agree it’s extremely annoying if there's a transmission every 30 seconds or so (just enough delay to cut power to the speaker).

It’s not so bad when you have the radio on a desk… but when you have a speaker-mic hooked up and that “POP” / “THUD” happens 50-60 times a day when the speaker is 4 or 5 inches from your ear… kinda stinks >_<

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p47r4ck View Post
    It’s not so bad when you have the radio on a desk… but when you have a speaker-mic hooked up and that “POP” / “THUD” happens 50-60 times a day when the speaker is 4 or 5 inches from your ear… kinda stinks >_<
    Try 3600x in a 10-hour shift (assuming 6 transmissions per minute).

It's bull****. And the default audio is too bassy for the coiled-tube output. I find I have to use -12 treble setting when listening to digital through the earpiece. (easy enough to make a custom audio profile with fixed/limited audio amplitude too, so as not to blow-out eardrums.)

I also find the audio VERY shrill sounding, no matter what amplitude/settings I try, when listening to the APX portable through radio speaker, while in a mobile environment. The XTS5000 sounds WAY better. But the APX definitely has the loudest audio of all.

Not my speaker, as I just replaced it a year or so ago with the BT antenna one. Same before/after.

IAmSixNIne No Longer Registered

Can confirm im hearing it as well on mine and my HT1550xls sitting at my desk in a quite office.
    didnt really pay much attention to it before, now its really noticable, so yeah thanks for pointing that out. LOL

Thanks

I'll be higly annoyed if I finally get one of these and the audio snaps like some cheap HYT I had a few years ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jettaman View Post
    I'll be higly annoyed if I finally get one of these and the audio snaps like some cheap HYT I had a few years ago.
    Yes, I was a little annoyed when hearing that snap noise at the beginning of conversation. Plus, these radios are no cheap thing either. I think it was a design flaw with the radio that Motorola had to know about but when working out in public safety county and city personnel don't really care nor worry about a snap. The only time you will hear it or notice it is when you are in a quiet room or at home. Maybe Motorola will have a software or firmware fix in time for this issue. I really don't think anybody is complaining about it. That's my opinion. But love the radio anyways for its design and features. Its just bad a** of a radio. But those XTS5000 radios are solid too and the speaker does not have that snap noise either. My theory is that public safety wanted a speaker that was crisper and cleaner and tremendously really loud and it was given to them at a price of the speaker making a snap noise at the beginning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
    Yes, I was a little annoyed when hearing that snap noise at the beginning of conversation. Plus, these radios are no cheap thing either. I think it was a design flaw with the radio that Motorola had to know about but when working out in public safety county and city personnel don't really care nor worry about a snap. The only time you will hear it or notice it is when you are in a quiet room or at home. Maybe Motorola will have a software or firmware fix in time for this issue. I really don't think anybody is complaining about it. That's my opinion. But love the radio anyways for its design and features. Its just bad a** of a radio. But those XTS5000 radios are solid too and the speaker does not have that snap noise either. My theory is that public safety wanted a speaker that was crisper and cleaner and tremendously really loud and it was given to them at a price of the speaker making a snap noise at the beginning.
    So I called Motorola last week about this snap noise problem and the repair man that works on these radios all day long has never heard of this issue. This is the first time that he has heard of this snap noise problem with the speaker. He looked into this issue and he looked at my code plug and told me to upgrade my firmware from R09.00.00 to R09.05.00 which I did and it was pretty easy to upgrade the firmware files from Motorola's website with no luck on the firmware upgrade. Waiting to hear back to what the next steps are. Hopefully there will be some resolution soon on this matter. It has to be brought to their attention for things to get done. Its just strange that this is their top of the line radio and they let this pass through quality control without fixing this issue. It is really hard to believe that this could have been passed threw. On the XTS5000 this snap noise does not happen. But the whole design of the APX7000 with this new high quality speaker could be a flaw design to where the speaker might need to be replaced or its a hardware design problem.
    Remember to not take life so seriously. Nobody ever gets out alive....

Thanks

So I called Motorola last week about this snap noise problem and the repair man that works on these radios all day long has never heard of this issue. This is the first time that he has heard of this snap noise problem with the speaker. He looked into this issue and he looked at my code plug and told me to upgrade my firmware from R09.00.00 to R09.05.00 which I did and it was pretty easy to upgrade the firmware files from Motorola's website with no luck on the firmware upgrade. Waiting to hear back to what the next steps are. Hopefully there will be some resolution soon on this matter. It has to be brought to their attention for things to get done. Its just strange that this is their top of the line radio and they let this pass through quality control without fixing this issue. It is really hard to believe that this could have been passed threw. On the XTS5000 this snap noise does not happen. But the whole design of the APX7000 with this new high quality speaker could be a flaw design to where the speaker might need to be replaced or its a hardware design problem.
    So I created a depot ticket with Motorola with my warranty information and receipt and they emailed me a FedEx Overnight shipping label to ship my radio in for repair. I did talk with the techs at Motorola and they took my codeplug and put it into their radios at Moto shop and they do not have a snapping noise on their radios at the shop. I even took videos on my iphone and emailed it to them and all of the techs and lead techs said it was most likely the speaker or something hardware related with the radio. Moto has no known history in their database with anything related to a snapping noise on their APX line of radios so I am just waiting to see what the results are when I get my radio back from the depot. But their techs were willing to do whatever it takes to fix the issue. The good thing is that the depot will run a full check on the radio and the hardware and get it all aligned and shipped back FEDEX express. I will post up the results when the radio gets back in my hands.

Thanks

Can't wait to hear the outcome of this!

So I created a depot ticket with Motorola with my warranty information and receipt and they emailed me a FedEx Overnight shipping label to ship my radio in for repair. I did talk with the techs at Motorola and they took my codeplug and put it into their radios at Moto shop and they do not have a snapping noise on their radios at the shop. I even took videos on my iphone and emailed it to them and all of the techs and lead techs said it was most likely the speaker or something hardware related with the radio. Moto has no known history in their database with anything related to a snapping noise on their APX line of radios so I am just waiting to see what the results are when I get my radio back from the depot. But their techs were willing to do whatever it takes to fix the issue. The good thing is that the depot will run a full check on the radio and the hardware and get it all aligned and shipped back FEDEX express. I will post up the results when the radio gets back in my hands.

Thanks

Well my radio has been at Moto for the past two weeks now with no news on what is going on with the radio. I honestly think they don't know what to do to fix the problem. Waiting for my radio. I keep calling but can't get any answers. Not sure if anybody has ever shipped their radios into Moto for repair and wondering how long it takes to get them fixed and mailed back. Will keep everybody posted on what the outcome of the speaker snap noise issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

If you shipped it to El Paso, it takes about 10 business days turnaround. They don't fix much, it will probably come back with a new 'back cover kit' (entire new RF board) and a new front housing. Essentially they will print a new label and stick it on a new radio.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

I'm replying a little late-in-the-game to this post, as I hadn't seen it until now.

If Moto is saying the APX7000 doesn't make a popping noise on beginning/end of RX, they are hard of hearing. It sounded very annoying. I definitely noticed it. I complained about it to my good friend Yaesu (member of this board) two days after I got it, and he was surprised I noticed it. He is also anal, and said he doesn't hear anything like that on his radio. Maybe there's a bad batch of boards? Who knows.

The pop is definitely there. I also found the RX audio tone to be very shrill, and almost unusable in a mobile environment. Yes, I tweaked the treble settings to no resolve.

About the only thing Moto can do to attempt to fix your problem is replacing the speaker assembly and/or the entire controller. I highly doubt it's your speaker.

I sold my APX. It was not a ALT radio or otherwise suffering from damaged components. Everything inside was factory/tagged. Came from the right source.

Thanks

If this is the same noise that I think people are talking about, its the effect of adding in the DSP chips in just about every radio since the ASTRO line came out. Even most of the analog radio processes the audio now thru a DSP. You won't hear this in the radios prior to the ASTRO line. There was a thread about this years ago on BL, but I don't recall if any other technical reasons were stated.

Thanks

Well my radio has been at the Depot somewhere in El Paso TX now for over two weeks with no answer yet. I can't get any information on the radio and what is wrong with it. They did tell me that the radio is on a hold for who knows whatever reason. Now I have to keep digging deeper as now its been over two weeks with no answer. Come on Motorola get it together. Maybe somebody sold me a "HOT" radio and somebody is going to get in trouble now for this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 651 Posts

Well my radio has been at the Depot somewhere in El Paso TX now for over two weeks with no answer yet. I can't get any information on the radio and what is wrong with it. They did tell me that the radio is on a hold for who knows whatever reason. Now I have to keep digging deeper as now its been over two weeks with no answer. Come on Motorola get it together. Maybe somebody sold me a "HOT" radio and somebody is going to get in trouble now for this.
    The last time that I sent a radio to the depot in El Paso, I believe that they forwarded it to Juarez for repair. When the radio was overdue, I contacted customer service through MOL and they had Juarez e-mailing me with status reports. Press Motorola for an answer; they can get one for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    The last time that I sent a radio to the depot in El Paso, I believe that they forwarded it to Juarez for repair. When the radio was overdue, I contacted customer service through MOL and they had Juarez e-mailing me with status reports. Press Motorola for an answer; they can get one for you.
    Well thanks for the understanding on what happens to the radio. I did what you said and have been calling Moto everyday to get an answer, with no luck. I always get the run around and my radio has been at MOTO for 3 weeks now and I can't get any information on my radio. I feel like its lost and they have no idea where it is. The good thing is that they send you a FEDEX label for overnight service to El Paso and then they have it for 3 weeks with no answer. I keep pressing them everyday and they are calling the depot for me with no luck. All I get is an generated email saying that they are fixing it or repairing the radio which I think they are full of it. O well I am at their MERCY at this point.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 651 Posts

Well thanks for the understanding on what happens to the radio. I did what you said and have been calling Moto everyday to get an answer, with no luck. I always get the run around and my radio has been at MOTO for 3 weeks now and I can't get any information on my radio. I feel like its lost and they have no idea where it is. The good thing is that they send you a FEDEX label for overnight service to El Paso and then they have it for 3 weeks with no answer. I keep pressing them everyday and they are calling the depot for me with no luck. All I get is an generated email saying that they are fixing it or repairing the radio which I think they are full of it. O well I am at their MERCY at this point.
    I'm sorry to hear that you are getting the run around. Motorola's service is not the best and your experience is a prime example of how not to run a company. The repair should be complete by now, and if you don't have the radio in another week, you are going to have to escalate the case. If Motorola loses the radio, that's not so bad either, since historically they replace radios that are lost. As I mentioned in my previous post, I actually had the depot e-mailing me, so perhaps you should ask customer service to put you directly in contact with the depot and cut out the middle-man.

Thanks

So is Juarez handling APX radios now? Last I heard any failures were going back to Plantation for engineering inspection....

It's also possible you've found an issue they were unaware of, and yours is the guinea pig for a fix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    So is Juarez handling APX radios now? Last I heard any failures were going back to Plantation for engineering inspection....

It's also possible you've found an issue they were unaware of, and yours is the guinea pig for a fix.
    I think you are absolutely right and hit the nail on the head. It is very possible that I have a speaker related issue they were unaware of and I am the guinea pig for sure. I spoke to the main tech at Moto for about a week and he was unaware of any speaker related popping noise. He took my same codeplug and loaded it into their radios and had no trouble. Well if I am the guinea pig then that's what it is at this point. Maybe it will be a fix across the board with a firmware upgrade or something they will fix to all of the APX line of radios. Stay tuned for any updates. It gets more interesting as the days move on.

Thanks

Mine has gone to Juarez both time now... once for a broken case, again for a bad keypad.

Thanks

When you call the 800#, if they cannot answer it over the phone, ask for a case to be created. They hate having cases, and open cases hanging around. If you have a MOL account, you can create one thru there as well.