Thread: WPLN4114AR firmware

Thanks

Default WPLN4114AR firmware

Hello all -

So I have two WPLN4114ARs and I'm wondering if it's worth it to shell out the $$$ for firmware updates. At the moment I'm using them to charge batteries for the XTS 3k/5k's

If it is worth it, anybody have experience with getting these updated, and if so what does a dealer charge for a firmware update based on your experiences?

I ask this because : I'm getting ready to shell out some $$$ for some fresh OEM batteries (they will be IMPRES :-P ... just getting sick of the crappy life on the used ones that came with the radios).

For the $$$ I'll be dropping on these batteries I'm wondering if there's noticeable improvements in stretching out the lifespan of the batteries with newer firmware. If not, seems like I should keep the $$$ and put it toward the batteries!

Thanks to anyone that has insight!

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

I'm not sure if Motorola charges for firmware updates to the chargers, I don't think they do, as the flashing software is available on MOL. The problem is you need a flashing cable rig, which is a RIB-like box to convert levels, etc. so a PC can program the firmware update in the charger. This is something the dealer or you will have to purchase to make it happen. There is another thread on the board here which discusses this.

Something you might want to take a look at are the "Emerging Power" batteries - they are dirt cheap, like $20 each and have VERY large capacities, for the money.

Here is a thread discussing them: https://www.p25.ca/threads/3556-Emer...ower-batteries

Thanks

Thanks for the link!

I've seen those a few times on EBay browsing around, and I figured for the price they would either not work or burn my house down if I left them on the charger when I went to work.

From reading the thread, doesn't sounds like either of those would be the case, so I think I'll give those a shot before dropping $200.00 on two (2) new NNTN4435B's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm not sure if Motorola charges for firmware updates to the chargers, I don't think they do, as the flashing software is available on MOL. The problem is you need a flashing cable rig, which is a RIB-like box to convert levels, etc. so a PC can program the firmware update in the charger. This is something the dealer or you will have to purchase to make it happen. There is another thread on the board here which discusses this.

Something you might want to take a look at are the "Emerging Power" batteries - they are dirt cheap, like $20 each and have VERY large capacities, for the money.

Here is a thread discussing them: https://www.p25.ca/threads/3556-Emer...ower-batteries
    Also I should have dug through the "Resource Center" one more time before posting here... I found the info on the field programmer >_<. Also you were correct that Ma M doesn't charge for the software that updates the Field Programmer

For anyone that's interested that doesn't have an MOL account :

IMPRES Field Programmer
    Part # : RLN5671A
    MOL Product Description : IMPRES FLD PROGMR W/NA/LA PLUG
    MOL List Price : $175.00

Might be worth it if your situation demands IMPRES batteries and think you'll be buying a lot of older IMPRES chargers... I'm not quite there yet