Thread: Garbled conversations or not hearing both sides of converstion

cgill No Longer Registered

Default Garbled conversations or not hearing both sides of converstion

We moved to Mototrbo from our analog motorola system due to narrow banding. Presently have 6 sites with a repeater (MTR3000) at each one. All of the repeaters communicate in our WAN but through various means, ie fiber, microwave etc. We are having a problem with garggled conversations, broken up conversations and some users not hearing both sides of the conversations. We are leaning to it be a QoS issue or packet loss/collision with the WAN. Are ideas or has anyone encountered this?

Thanks

As a new member your posts are moderated, do not make multiple threads or posts, just wait a while until one of us approves them, then they will show up.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,027 Posts

I am assuming you are using IP Site Connect to connect your repeaters together? Do you have the minimum bandwidth requirements per the System Planner for your application?

Are you using encryption? Are the repeaters programmed correctly for the encryption type? None, Basic, Enhanced? Are all the repeaters running the same firmware version, and is it very recent? How about the radios?

What about your network? What is your ping time between sites? Latency? Packet loss? Have you run flood ping tests against your routers to determine if there is a path issue? Are your routers/switches truly passing UDP packets the way they should on the ports provided? Is any of your system over a public provider? Are all your routers/switches compliant? Are you using any NAT or hairpinning?

Need some more answers.

Thanks

Way to little info on the set-up to suggest more than a shotgun blast of maybe's.

I suggest using a different UDP port for every peer and never use the default 50000 not even for the master (helpful in diagnosing issues if all are different) including any RDAC's or 3rd party connections. Make sure that each repeater is operating on it's assigned UDP port. Router's need to handle loop-back NAT or hair-pinning correctly also. All radio ID's must be different including any RDAC's. Never use radio id 1, same reason as it's a default and easily someone can use it.

One ways are common with hairpin issues

If you can get a c-Bridge to peer into your network, it has fairly robust diagnostics to help pin down the issue or at least the problematic repeater. If RDAC cannot see a peer, that tends to show that peer is a problem child. Use RDAC from a different subnet than any repeater to be sure you don't introduce another hairpin issue.

Worst case, read up on this page: http://www.trbo.info/dci/routers.html or the TRBO guide on IPCS (forget the name of the guide but it is must more thourough than the TRBO system planner which is the bible.
    -- Mike, NO7RF, Mazama WA

Thanks

Might be nature of the beast too... I know of a few IPSite Connect systems near me, and the users complain of these issues constantly, and have for a few years now... With the big issue being radios missing transmissions. In both cases privacy was turned off, firmware updated etc etc.. and it still happens. Maybe interference or RF issues of some sort... who knows.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,027 Posts

That's funny, our multi-state systems never have issues. Except of course when the paths go down.

123 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Forts View Post
    Maybe interference or RF issues of some sort...
    Indeed, most likely a shared user on the RX frequency. Which is why I have stopped applying for FB6 and started applying for FB8's {If available} In metro areas you can listen to any given commercial frequency and hear at least 2-4 other systems all within listening range of each other. Analog is more forgiving then digital when it comes to heterodyning or over lapping rf coverage. A clean/clear freq. pair always helps...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 123 For This Useful Post:

blcomm (Nov 24, 2016)