Thread: Wierd problem with XTS3000

Thanks

Default Wierd problem with XTS3000

Good morning all,

I'm having a strange problem with an XTS3000 Model 3 800 MHz radio. The display was bad so I replaced it with a new one. As soon as I connect the new display, the radio basically shuts off. No lights, no PTT, no functions of any buttons or switches. I take the new display off and either leave it off or put the bad one back on and it works again. I know there is an issue with updating the firmware when replacing an old display with the newer model so I updated the firmware to see if that helped but still the same results. Any one with any ideas? Thanks.

Jim

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

The problem is you have older firmware in the radio that doesn't know from the new replacement displays. There are two types of display, call them rev A and B for lack of a better term, and you need later 7.xx firmware to talk to the replacement displays. The problem is the radio hangs in the POST (initial self-test) and won't come up with the new display so you need to remove the new one and either have the old one or none present, then the firmware needs to be flash upgraded, then and only then can you install the new rev B display.

Thanks

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that perhaps you are getting some of the display clamp "fingers" stuck under the flex upon installation, and grounding out some of the display contacts. Be sure that the clip is seated correctly.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

That's a very good point, code352 - I have seen more than 1 done that way, and by experienced techs who must have been in a hurry or overlooked it. Cackis, it would be helpful if you can tell us the firmware revision, it sounds like your initial assumption may be the correct one.

Thanks

Thanks for the relpys. I did update the firmware which is now 07.71.07.00 with a DSP of N08.03.05 and it's still not working.

Thanks

The problem is the radio hangs in the POST (initial self-test) and won't come up with the new display so you need to remove the new one and either have the old one or none present, then the firmware needs to be flash upgraded, then and only then can you install the new rev B display.
    did you do it that way? if not remove the display, reflash the radio then install the new one.

Thanks

I got it. First time around was it the old firmware and then I had one of the pieces of the clip on the wrong side of the flex. Silly me. Thank you all for your help and great knowledge.

Jim

Thanks

Thank you for posting the solution.