Thread: BootLeg Impress Chargers on Ebay

Thanks

Default BootLeg Impress Chargers on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PMNN4065-PMN...item27d30c218b

Anyone know the deal with this? Not looking to buy, Found a OEM one on ebay for like 10 bucks more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

What makes you think it is bootleg? This platform charger is available in many countries.

Thanks

I didn't seem the /\/\ logo on the charger that's why I assumed it was bootleg, and I thought IMPRESS was something that was Motorola only.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

W&W make Impres chargers now.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

These chargers are made overseas. I have not seen ones made for the EU or for the African market, but they may have different housings (as the Storno radios did) so not sure that is a true indicator. It may simply be someone is shipping a container of chargers in from Malaysia and dumping them here in the USA. Only way to tell would be to buy one and read the firmware in it and see if it really is an Impres charger with current firmware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    These chargers are made overseas. I have not seen ones made for the EU or for the African market, but they may have different housings (as the Storno radios did) so not sure that is a true indicator. It may simply be someone is shipping a container of chargers in from Malaysia and dumping them here in the USA. Only way to tell would be to buy one and read the firmware in it and see if it really is an Impres charger with current firmware.
    Gotcha. I think I was a little quick to pull the trigger on that post.

Thanks

Doesn't hurt to check it out. If I wasn't swimming in Trbo chargers, I would order one just for grins and giggles.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,389 Times in 2,315 Posts

I purchased two of those chargers a few weeks ago. I'm still not sure if they're "legit", as there's no Motorola logos anywhere on the product. I'm kind of scared to charge a battery with them -- especially lithium ion, as there could be a potential fire.

I would hope if they're fake chargers, Motorola would go after them for safety reasons.

TheWizard No Longer Registered

My IMPRES charger for TRBO radios has the Motorola logo, and a much better looking switching power supply (ie, Motorola branded, and has the converted located in the center of the cord as opposed to being "wall wart" style). I would venture a guess that charger is a counterfeit, myself.... Probably the reason I bought one from a dealer as opposed to trying my luck on cheap ebay goods.

Thanks

its a cheap knock off... the same person was the one selling the saber battery with the plug in charger I know that those aren't Motorola

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    its a cheap knock off... the same person was the one selling the saber battery with the plug in charger I know that those aren't Motorola
    He has a lot of batteries with the plug in charger I was tempted to buy one....

Thanks

The I in Impres should have the dot with the triangles around it and there should be "TM" after the word Impres. Not sure if the round plastic bit on the top should have the M logo as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 513 Posts

Phoney baloney ebay turds.
    Below is a pic of my genuine Ma M V3.90 IMPRES SUC- came directly from Sandy's Communications in Northridge, CA, along with a factory new XRP7550. Notice the circle "M" logo on the charger, notice the use of a Torx screw on the top in the middle of the charging cup (not a philips head like the Ebay fake). Note the Torx screws used on the bottom, and the label. The power supply is also a UL/CSA brick not some cheap adapter. That seller has loads of road apple phonies. I wouldn't trust my $80 IMPRES batteries to some pile of **** like those fakes.

Thanks

They are located in China, leave feedback that suggests a language issue, may have some presence in Fremont and CA and may ship some product from California, there have been several complaints about long shipping times.

Buyer beware...of Ebay too for tolerating the manipulation of large scale sellers who bring in 9% on their sales.
    -- Mike, NO7RF, Mazama WA

Thanks

Still waiting for someone to actually read one and see what the firmware says.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 738 Posts

If ever there was a reason to use the VERO system, this would be it, you'd think...

mtp850 No Longer Registered

FYI, I have genuine impress chargers from the Europe and Australian markets and although this item is very close to the original, it looks fake to me

1. Should be a torx screw
    2. The sticker has a minor flaw where the screw is. There should be a small cut out where the sticker goes around the screw.

Why would they need to supply a cheap arse power connector when the factory one just needs the 2 pin cable changed to suit the market ? FAKE

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post

Thanks

Like I said, someone read the firmware and report back. Until then all bets are off. It probably is a $8 charger, but the f/w will probably be the real clue. I'm not finalizing my judgment until then.