Thread: Quantar SIMM replacement?

Jonsky No Longer Registered

Default Quantar SIMM replacement?

Im planning to upgrade my SCM with 4 DIP chips to a SIMM flash module but I cannot find one. Question is, can you use any other FLASH SIMMs that can be found on cisco routers in replacement of the original quantar SIMM ? They are plenty on ebay and here is one example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEM-1X4F-4MB-Third-Party-FLASH-SIMM-MEMORY-FOR-CISCO-2500-SERIES-ROUTERS-/160808130262?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item2570e956d6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsky View Post
    Im planning to upgrade my SCM with 4 DIP chips to a SIMM flash module but I cannot find one. Question is, can you use any other FLASH SIMMs that can be found on cisco routers in replacement of the original quantar SIMM ? They are plenty on ebay and here is one example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEM-1X4F-4MB-Third-Party-FLASH-SIMM-MEMORY-FOR-CISCO-2500-SERIES-ROUTERS-/160808130262?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item2570e956d6

I kinda doubt this simm would work as is. You'd have to verify each pins function of this simm to the Quantars simm. The Quantar Simm is a 32 bit wide byte simm, that also has a 5 bit code on it, set with 0 ohm chip resistors, that tells the firmware which model of simm you have. While you could hard code this 5 bit code, it would be amazing to find that all the other pins are exactly as needed.
    The Quantar simm uses 29F040B flash chips. Intellipeater simms are double sided, where they have 8 of the 29F040b's on them instead of just 4 for a non-IR simm.
    MJ.

Jonsky No Longer Registered

Thanks for the info. I thought it's pin by pin the same. My SCM has 4 DIP chips and just want to upgrade it at least to the last release it will hold or take. My best bet now is to get a recent SCM.

Thanks

At some point here I am going to put together a replacement SIMM and put it up on sparkfun or something. The problem with the quantar SIMM is that its a 80-pin flash SIMM, but it uses the ID pins differently than regular flash SIMMs.