Thread: Saber III User Programmable Scan set-up procedure

Thanks

Default Saber III User Programmable Scan set-up procedure

Does anyone know where I can find a key by key procedure for setting up my scanlist for my Saber III? I can sort of set it up but I want to make sure I have all my local repeaters covered (I think I omitted a few when I tried to half-assed do this earlier today). Please forgive me if this question is horribly simple - I am relatively new at this. Essentially, I just want to scan 10 of the 2 meter repeaters in the Pittsburgh area (plus two simplex channels) that I have programmed into Zone One. I don't really have any priority freqs but I understand I need to set one up regardless?

Any insight/suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Wes/W9YYH
    Pittsburgh, PA USA

Thanks

Hahaha! Don't answer all at once, lads! :P I hardly even use my Saber III anymore. I have a couple Saber IIs that I went nuts on and actually hex editied the RSS to get them to work the entire 2 meter band. People who know me will know that this is a pretty big deal. It actually ended up not being all that difficult. Though somewhat unrelated, while in the RSS of one of my Saber IIs (the one engraved "HQ-AG-005" - anyone have any idea to which three-lettered agency this was assigned?) I determined that one can set up a scanlist but this is completely superfluous if one does not attribute each respective channel to said scanlist. Took me awhile to suss that one out. Duhhrrrr.

Best,
    Wes/W9YYH
    Pittsburgh, PA

mikem No Longer Registered

OK first in RSS select F4 radio feature options,
    Next scroll down and enable H273 Operator selectable scan.

This expands option H344, the 'mode slaved scan' option list.
    Next select these remaining H344 options at your choice, I usually enable all options except for priority to follow channel selector but chose what you want.

Do all of your other programming and go ahead and set up any regular RSS selected scan list but be aware that you can run out of memory if you make too many scan lists while also having alpha tags enabled on channels and zones so keep your scan list to no more than 8 for the RSS programmed list to start with.

When everything is to your liking in the regular RSS setup then go ahead and program the radio, select the radios RPF programming values also when writing to the radio.

Next when you power the radio on it will have nothing in the user scan list and you will have to set these up of course from the radios keypad using the top orange buttons/keys.

MY RADIO IS A REGULAR SABER BUT IT HAS BEEN RECASED WITH A SYSTEM SABER CASE SO MY KEYS ARE LABELED DIFFERENT FROM A REGULAR SABER SO I'LL REFERENCE the 'LEFT', 'MIDDLE' AND 'UPPER' ORANGE KEYS WHICH ARE USED TO PROGRAM THE SCAN LIST.

The upper middle orange key moves the cursor to various entry fields, Zone or Channel fields or bypassing, while the Right upper orange key is used to accept your keypad choices for the Zone or Channel selected by the keypad number choosen.

1. with the radio powered on press the upper left orange key until 'PGM SCAN' IS displayed ON THE LCD.
    press the middle orange key, the display shows> 'prior1' briefly and then
    Z xx C yy> is displayed and the cursor is blinking on the 'xx' field

NOTE :The > means that the radio is waiting for a user keypad entry but don't wait more than about 20 seconds other wise the program mode times out and the radio returns to normal operation and you will need to start all over from where you left off before time out occurred. So first off write down on a pad of paper your choices for ZONE and Channels for each entry, Priority1 Z C , priority2 Z C, designated TX channel Z C, POSz Z C... etc where z is 01 to 12.

2. Z is your first entry CHOICE, enter the zone # of the channel # you want as priority 1, enter a leading zero for entries less than 10 (IE 01 for zone 1) press the upper right key to accept your choice, the lcd cursor moves over and is blinking on the channel C yy> field.

Enter the channel number for your priority 1 channel and press the upper right key once again to accept the entry, enter leading zero for entries less than 10, (IE 02 for channel 2).

3. now depending on if you have priority 2 enabled under option H344 you will may or may not have the LCD showing briefly PRIOR2 then Z xx C yy> and the cursor is blinking on the xx filed, enter your desired Zone choice as was done above and press the upper right key to accept this choice, repeat for the channel C yy> FIELD AND PRESS AGAIN the UPPER RIGHT KEY TO ACCEPT THE CHANNEL SELECTION.

4. Next if you have "Designated Transmit MODE" enabled/selected in option H344 then the LCD will show 'TX MOD'E briefly and then show to Z xx C yy> with the cursor blinking on the xx field of the Zone selection.

5. Repeat the above procedure selecting first the Zone, Z xx, entry and pressing the upper right key to accept the Zone choice then repeat for the channel, C yy, field.

6. Next the LCD will display POS 01> briefly and then Z xx C yy> you are now in the regular 12 channel scan list entry section.
    repeat the above procedure first selecting the Zone, Z xx, and press right upper key to accept and then the channel, C yy, for the channel and again the upper right key to accept the channel entry.
    briefly, where zz is last channel +1 entered, then display shows Z xx C yy> until you reach POS12>, the final regular programmable scan channel available.

When you reach the last channel simply press the upper left orange key and your out of programmable scan setup.

also you do not need to enter all of the priority or designated TX or for that matter any undesired regular scan channels.

You can pass over any entry fields and not program anything or simply bypass a selection by pressing only the middle orange key.

You can also simply review an existing previously programmed scan list selection simply by pressing the middle upper orange key/button and waiting for the display to show what is in that field already, next just keep pressing the upper middle key/button to scroll to the next entry that you desire to review or bypass.

When done with either bypassing programming an entry or reviewing a the scan list simply press the upper left key/button once again to return to normal radio operation or wait > 20 seconds for the program mode to time out and your back to regular radio operational mode.

Mike

Dang that should be upper, left, middle and right orange keys

Scan operation. You can enable your user program scan list from any zone as follows:

Press the upper left orange key until> SCAN is displayed. You then have 2 scan choices that you may select by pressing the middle orange key, pressing once and the displays shows> SEL SCAN, this Is your keypad programmable user list. Pressing the upper right key enables this mode.

Pressing the middle key twice displays> MODE SCAN, in this mode the radio scan the ZONE that you are presently on. Press the upper right key to enable this scan method.

Scan DROP: At any time while scanning if you want to temporarily remove a channel from the scan list press the middle orange key and the display shows> DROP. >, next press the upper right key to accept this choice and the display briefly shows DROPPED >. You drop more channels using the same method.

Turning scan OFF and then back on places all dropped channels back in the scan list.

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

Mine is set to user-selectable scan, so it's a little different. First, go into the menu, select SCANPGM, then setup Priority 1, Priority 2, and TX Mode, then add each channel you want to scan (up to 16). From there, back to Menu, and select SCAN. The display will show "SCANNING".

The scan list is retained by the battery; if the battery goes dead or the radio is zeroized, the scan list will be wiped.