Thread: P1225 Programming Problem

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Default P1225 Programming Problem

I'm trying to program a P1225 I received as payment for a job. The radio powers on, works fine. I've tried a 98 computer with a real serial port, ver 3.2 of the RSS, I've tried my Vista with a Prolific RS232 chip set and RSS ver 4, no luck with either. I'm using a Kawamall multi cord with the P1225 battery type adapter and a good 9v battery. I've used the programming cable with the small adapter plug on CP200's and the RJ45 Jack with an M1225 and the same software. I'm not sure if there is a problem with the kawamall cable or the radio connector on the back. RSS just says unable to communicate. Check blah blah... Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlamanske View Post
    I'm trying to program a P1225 I received as payment for a job. The radio powers on, works fine. I've tried a 98 computer with a real serial port, ver 3.2 of the RSS, I've tried my Vista with a Prolific RS232 chip set and RSS ver 4, no luck with either. I'm using a Kawamall multi cord with the P1225 battery type adapter and a good 9v battery. I've used the programming cable with the small adapter plug on CP200's and the RJ45 Jack with an M1225 and the same software. I'm not sure if there is a problem with the kawamall cable or the radio connector on the back. RSS just says unable to communicate. Check blah blah... Any suggestions?
    Version 4.0 of that software may solve your problem. See this thread for all you need: http://www.p25.ca/threads/1885-P1225...highlight=1225

I've tried Ver 3.2 on Windows 98, with a real serial port. The green light, and the red LED light up on the programming cable on this PC, I tried my Prolific USB-Serial Adapter on my Vista PC with RSS Ver 4.0 on it, the green LED does not light, but the red LED does with this setup. The green led does flicker, showing communications on both setups. I've even tried the 2.5 mm programming connector in the audio accessory port, as the CP200 series radio uses.
    This is the cable:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Programming-...item255671de4b
    I'm leaning towards a problem with the radio possibly, but I'm not sure. The radio is second hand, and I don't know the exact history of it. Or, I'm wondering if the Prolific cable just doesn't like this particular programming cable, or what the problem is.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,012 Posts

A P1225 uses a programming stand and a RIB and does not program through the side connector on the radio. You have to have a compatible Motorola battery also, since the battery has to pass the programming pin through to the back of the radio.

The Kawamall adapter MAY work, although I have never tried one, since 1225 programmers are so cheap. The RSS does NOT reliably run in anything newer than XP, and not at all in any 64 bit OS versions. There are TWO versions of the RSS, one for LS portables and one for NON-LS portables, make sure you have the correct version for the radio you have. Make sure you have the programming port voltage above 8 volts, a dead or low 9V battery is like a low RIB battery, mostly useless.

The Kawamall version of this programmer for the GP300 would NOT work with anything but the ATEN USB adapter which is the one supplied from Kenwood until they stopped supplying anything but USB programming cables. The Prolific would not work. As a side note, the new KW cables use the Prolific driver internally and are problematic on some hardware platforms. I spent two hours today installing drivers on one of the installer laptops. It took 8 different method attempts before I was successful. YMMV.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

Just a quick note there, the ATEN USB device is the exact same one as the IOGEAR device which is the particular one Motorola recommends. I have had pretty good luck with the Prolific adapters as well, but YMMV, as was said...

Also I agree the version 4 CPS is definitely what you need, the earlier versions would only work on Win98 or earlier.

I figured it was a combination of the cable and the USB adapter. I may just take it to a shop to see if they can read the radio with an oem cable or at least a setup that is known to work before I jack around with this project anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 450 Posts

So manny have issues with USB adapters. It cannot be said enough that the older software prefers a proper serial port. if you do use something else be prepared for issues like described.

I'm just lost because my 98 laptop has a physical, built into the board serial port and it doesn't even work. Makes me lean towards the cable.

chpalmer No Longer Registered

We did so few of these radios that we used allegator clips from a gp300 programming adapter and a 7.5vdc power supply. If you have access to one you might give it a try.

If its been programmed with 4.0 already it could be an issue going backwards but I don't know for sure.