Thread: CPS not allowing USCG

TexasCOML No Longer Registered

Default CPS not allowing USCG

So how do you put in the wide band USCG VHF channels in an APX 7000 VHF? It will not allow wide only narrow on 156.800?
    Ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks

you will have to use an earlier version of CPS. You will also have to use a earler codeplug if you have an archive.

Thanks

I thought wide/narrow was determined by the 12.5kHz-only flash option in the radio?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    I thought wide/narrow was determined by the 12.5kHz-only flash option in the radio?
    It is on the APX and Astro 25 platforms. Call Motorola and demand they fix their defective software. What version CPS are you using because I thought I saw that they fixed this in a recent release.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 998 Posts

Is the APX certificated under Part 80?
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    Is the APX certificated under Part 80?
    Looks like it:
    https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/repor...id=AZ489FT7036

The VHF version was originally certified Part 90 only, but was then amended include 80.

Thanks

In which case, even with the FCC mandate, the radio should function on ALL the marine channels. I would INSIST upon it, and open a case until it was resolved.

Thanks

On both of my APX's, VHF/UHF and VHF/800, I use the latest firmware and CPS and it allows me to use wide or narrow on any frequency, our Sheriff's dept. uses both 800 and VHF, which VHF is narrow, and I have it mixed with wide HAM and Marine, and I have no problem transmitting narrow to Sheriff's dispatch and wide on HAM and Marine. I was careful when I programed the radios to notice and make sure whether the frequency would take wide on some and narrow on others after firmware updates, and it does. I have been told, whether it is good or bad information, that APX's made after Jan. 1, 2012 for several months were made to not allow wide on any VHF band so they would be narrow band compliant, again, this is hear-say. Anyway, I am using the latest firmware and CPS and have no problems

Thanks

TexasCOML, what is the flash in your radio? I think that is where you are going to find your answer. It will have to change....

Thanks

From the release notes

Abstract: FCC Narrowbanding Mandate
    System Platforms Affected: All
    Special Configurations: N/A
    Description: Per the FCC Rule Part 90 requirements on narrowbanding, VHF and UHF
    radios imported or manufactured after 12/31/2012 will no longer be authorized to
    operate on 25 kHz channel bandwidth. The exception to Rule Part 90 narrowbanding
    requirements are for radios operating only within 470-512 MHz frequencies (T-Band),
    which will continue to support 25 kHz channel bandwidth functionality. The FCC
    requires that a radio is authorized to operate within the specified bandwidth and
    that the user is required to have a FCC license to operate in that mode.
    NOTE: After the FCC mandate takes effect, specific frequencies in VHF and UHF are
    still allowed to operate at 25 kHz. Examples of VHF and UHF services that are not
    subject to Part 90 narrowband include: Part 80 marine frequencies, Part 87
    aviation frequencies, Part 95, FRS/GMRS and MURS, Part 97 amateur frequencies, and
    NOAA weather channels.

So they know these channels are exempt, the CPS should allow 25k dev on them regardless of the 12.5k flash option. The software is broken, or the coders are too lazy to do it right.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

apco25guy No Longer Registered

So is there a version of CPS or a firmware version that prohibits 25kHz channels? Signalman51 can do it without issue, but others can't... Have we identified the variable here? I'm about to purchase a V/7-800 7k and now am curious. I didn't think there was a concern, but maybe there is now? Hmmmmm

Thanks

This is how it sits now, if the radio does not have the 12.5khz mandate flash option it will do 25khz on any channel. Now the big IF

IF you have the 12.5khz mandate flash option you will be restricted to 12.5khz.
    Originally this flash option affected all frequencies in VHF and UHF.
    It is supposed to allow the above(in the release notes) exceptions and was told they would be added in a newer release of cps, but I can't confirm that happened.

OK that makes sense... So if you have the 12.5kHz mandate in the flash, the debate is it should still allow marine and ham.... Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

*** Key takeaway, 12.5kHz mandate flash = BAD ***

Thanks

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I looked through the flash codes of both of my radios and neither radio shows 12.5 KHz notation in the flash, if the radio has this in the flash, will it show up in the flash line? As stated before, both radios will do narrow and wide on any frequency, but I cannot find any indication of a 12.5 KHz in the flash

Thanks

I just opened an XTL2500 with G507 flash and it will not accept 156.800, 157.100, 162.550 or 152.480 in wideband which should ALL be exempt. Using R19.01.00. Radio flash is R19.50.00

Thanks

Interesting. I went out of the zone and back in, and now it does allow the 162, but still no marine or paging.

Thanks

There is a form for removing the option available from Moto, requires an online training and the information from each unit. They will send a dongle to remove the flash option.

TexasCOML No Longer Registered

OK Update. These radios are less than 3 months old. I have version 9.00 firmware and CPS 9.01 From Moto I was told to flash the firmware to 9.05 and when I tried that the write failed. The radio allows RX only Wide on WX also works in Ham as needed. Have 2 engineers working on it and I will keep you posted. So much for releasing a radio that works as advertised!

Thanks

Please post your flashcode!

Thanks

Betcha it has Q507 in it....

rc50won No Longer Registered

CPS 10 was released the other day and it appears they fixed this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rc50won View Post
    CPS 10 was released the other day and it appears they fixed this issue.
    I believe the fix will be in the FIRMWARE, which as of this post hasn't been released yet.

bonusmalusturpis No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by apco25guy View Post
    I believe the fix will be in the FIRMWARE, which as of this post hasn't been released yet.
    CPS R10 allows wideband on Marine VHF, even on a radio with R09 firmware.

Guess you believed wrong. /snark

When I'm wrong I'm wrong. My bad.