Thread: XTS3000 question

DyslexicDancer No Longer Registered

Default XTS3000 question

I recently purchased an XTS3000 off Ebay that was listed as condition unknown sold for parts, but the seller said the radio should work.

It arrived today and powered up just fine, all seems to work, but it has no programming.

I was hoping you guys could tell me the features of this radio and if it needs a firmware, DSP, or codeplug update before I attempt to program it with CPS

here is the info from the service mode:
    R07.71.07
    DSPN08.03.05
    EMC R03.59
    KG1 DES-OFB
    KG2 DES-XL
    KG3 AES-256
    H09KDF9PW7BN
    620ABL0396
    1 MEG
    FLSHCD
    540001-000000-4
    RF TEST .......then it stays stuck on this screen, it does not indicate pass or fail. Hopefully this is normal.

For my intended purpose I would like to be able to run P25 digital and conventional analog on 2 meter and I would like to be able to run encryption on a few channels (not in the ham band). it is my understanding that there is an option for infinite key retention so that the radio doesn't loose the encryption keys after the battery has been removed for over 30 seconds.

If my radio needs to be updated, can you guys recommend someone to do the updating,

I'm sure I can program the channels with CPS, but this will be my first time using CPS so are there any good guides you guys know of for a newbie programming an XTS3000 with CPS?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DyslexicDancer View Post
    I was hoping you guys could tell me the features of this radio and if it needs a firmware, DSP, or codeplug update before I attempt to program it with CPS
    Sure here it goes

R07.71.07 Current
    DSPN08.03.05 Current
    EMC R03.59 Current I think
    H09KDF9PW7BN VHF Model 2

Decoding Flashcode: 540001-000000-4
    Platform: XTS3000

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
    H14: Enhanced Digital ID Display
    H869: Hardware Multikey Encryption
    H35: Conventional Systems Operation

Decoded by the akardam.net FC Decoder v4

RF TEST .......then it stays stuck on this screen, it does not indicate pass or fail. Hopefully this is normal.
    It is

I'm sure I can program the channels with CPS, but this will be my first time using CPS so are there any good guides you guys know of for a newbie programming an XTS3000 with CPS?
    This is a advanced forum, so newb guides aren't our thing, but judging by the fact you made a thought out and intelligent first post I don't think you will have an issue. The best tip I can offer is on a Astro series radio you define the channel, mod type squelch type etc. in the personality. Then you give it a position in a zone in the zone/channel assignment. This is a little different from the newer radios.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

With the CPS there are a couple of tutorial videos, check the main help menu for them, they may give you some general direction. Also there are a few "how-to" videos on youtube that show a bit about programming, just to give you a general idea of what to do next.

As Magnus said, you need to define a conventional personality first, then in the zone screen add the channel name and link it to the personality you create.

Then after the channels are mostly added, you can go through and define scan lists and go back and tag the channel personalities with the appropriate scan list numbers.

In the general sections are stuff on buttons and menus and the like to customize the radio interface to your liking.

A good general hint is you need to write down a lot of stuff or be really good at keeping track of 4 things at once in your head, i.e. write down the personality number so in the zone screen you know which personality goes with which zone/channel. Likewise with the scan lists, if you write them down you can figure out which one to add to the personality later on more easily. If you don't write them down you will have to keep bopping back and forth between 4 windows, and I really hope you don't get a phone call or have to take a crap in the middle of all that!

Thanks

I always like to keep my personalities organized in the order in which they are used in the zone/channel assignments. Meaning, zone 1 channel 1 is personality 1, channel 2 is personality 2, etc. Keep in mind that if you rearrange channels (as I often do), you can rearrange the corresponding personalities (using the "move" command) so that they are in order again. Doing this goes a long way toward helping me keep my sanity when I'm dealing with a large codeplug.

Another tip is that I usually create my zone/channel layout in a spreadsheet before I even start working with the software. I typically use rows for channels and columns for zones. If you want to be thorough you could put all of the frequency/PL info in the spreadsheet, but I usually just put the channel name and look up the other info as I'm programming. You can print the spreadsheet and use it to keep track of personality numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 998 Posts

Spreadsheets are definitely your friend with these radios, and its looking more and more like the same thing is going to hold true for APX also, with bigger codeplugs.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon