Thread: xtl5000 26pin rear acc external ptt question

throwed No Longer Registered

Default xtl5000 26pin rear acc external ptt question

hi all, the xtl series mobile at the 26 pin rear acc connector .. is the PTT active when pulled to ground ? and if so what ground ? the digital or analogue? dumb question i know but its better asking than frying something. thanks all

christian

Thanks

Yes, and it doesn't matter which.

throwed No Longer Registered

thanks for the reply T , stupid question i know but better to be sure

gef No Longer Registered

Whilst we are on this subject can any pin be programable to a specific channel or are they a global thing .. giving me a change in state on any pin for a particular channel ...
    Trying to hook up an XTL to a box connected to the radio which then talks to a satelite ... only want this to be used on a specific channel thou .. have already been told no by another Motorola person ...so looking for a second opinion..

Thanks

No, XTL's do not provide channel steering lines.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

gef No Longer Registered

Thanks for that ....

gef No Longer Registered

This would be the same with the APX series also ?

Thanks

I'm not aware of any radio that does what you're asking...activating a pin when you turn to a specific channel.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

Some of the repeaters and mobiles (Kenwood, I know of specifically but I believe others can too) have a "steering" function where a specific input line will force the radio to a pre-designated channel, but I don't believe any work the other way around, providing an output when on a specific channel other than the front panel LED's of a 2-channel unit.

A channel steering input emulates the older crystal type multi-channel radios where you pulled a specific channel line to ground to turn on the xtal for a given channel. That was how frequency selection was done. Channel selectors were one-of-n lines active low, and eventually became binary encoders with Syntor and later radios, and finally went to pulse-up-down encoders later on, but some of the radios have interfaces that can emulate the older one-of-n type selectors.

You can use steering lines creatively to slave an emergency channel to a footswitch or something like that, or to give a base operator F1-F2 control, etc. Can you use reverse logic here, i.e. when you want to talk to the other box can you force the radio to a specific channel, making the radio the slave rather than the master?

Thanks

I misunderstood the OP's question I thought he was looking for channel steering. I don't think the reverse can be done either.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

gef No Longer Registered

yes am looking for some sort of output on pins when on a particular channel ... i guess it doesnt mater what sort of output I get at the moment as my engineer could work with that .. just to trigger an external device when on that particular channel.