Thread: Private Call and encryption - "Clear TX Only"

Thanks

Default Private Call and encryption - "Clear TX Only"

I have a customer with 3 XTL2500 mobiles, and a number of XTS2500 portables, using them on a 3600 SmartZone system. They recently started to use encryption on one of their talkgroups, and all units work fine on a regular talkgroup call, both clear & secure. They use the private call function a fair bit, and one of the mobiles gives the "Clear TX Only" error on the screen if you try to make a private call with the switch in the secure position. All their other radios don't have this issue...they allow the private call regardless of switch position.

I've compared the codeplugs provided by the customer (they do their own non-system key related programming) and they appear to be identical, other than individual ID. I can't find any fields that pertain specifically to secure operation in Private Call mode.

I've asked the customer to verify the firmware versions of the mobiles, to see if the affected unit might be a different revision.

Anybody seen this or maybe have any ideas for me?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 489 Posts

I have not seen this but since there is access to the syskey I would try a clone from a working unit to the non working radio then verify the proper operation of the private call. if all is well then change the ID to the one the radio should have and reverify. This will save possible hours trying to locate the bad entry. You can always go through an archived codeplug from the bad unit in the future to track down the actual issue.

Thanks

I also believe that in the PC setup options, you have to tell the radio which encryption key to use for PC. Have you checked the Private Call key settings in the offending unit?

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-T View Post
    I can't find any fields that pertain specifically to secure operation in Private Call mode.
    Trunking System/Multikey/Patch Key Select is the only place I can think of.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Here is something that is off the wall and would be a system programming issue in the controller. If by some chance the user is set for sub-band use only, if there are sub-band channels, and those channels are analog only channels the system would give you that error. I would also have the administrator check the profile before chasing your tail in the CP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    I also believe that in the PC setup options, you have to tell the radio which encryption key to use for PC. Have you checked the Private Call key settings in the offending unit?
    There is nothing of that nature that I can find. They aren't multi-key capable, that might be why. Thanks for the responses everyone. I will be getting them to come in & I will be cloning a 'working' unit to the offending unit & see what happens. If it still doesn't work, I'll be trying the offending ID in the working unit just for the hell of it.

Thanks

Clear tx req is a message sent from the system. Either the system does not support encrypted private calls (smartzone 3.x did not, can't remember with 4.1) or private call is strapped to clear only in the manager.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    Clear tx req is a message sent from the system. Either the system does not support encrypted private calls (smartzone 3.x did not, can't remember with 4.1) or private call is strapped to clear only in the manager.
    Actually, "Clear TX Only" will show on any talkgroup designated as "clear" in the radio programming itself, whether the system supports encryption or not. The fact remains the other two mobiles & their portables do not exhibit the issue, so I don't believe it to be a system issue. Whether the private calls are actually going out in the clear, or secure, I can't say as the radios have not been brought to me yet. I'll attempt to scan them to ascertain that. I'm currently going by what the customer is telling me, and by the two codeplugs they sent me.

Thanks

The fact remains the other two mobiles & their portables do not exhibit the issue, so I don't believe it to be a system issue.
    Unless you have reviewed the radio records in the controller don't assume that it might not be a "system issue". It only takes one miss checked box to drive a bench technician crazy for hours.

Thanks

I don't have PM (Provisioning Manager, sorry, I'm a 7.13 guy) in front of me, but check the Radio/User profiles for clear only TX on PC. I "believe" that's a selectable feature, but I'm not positive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gsxxr1300r View Post
    Unless you have reviewed the radio records in the controller don't assume that it might not be a "system issue". It only takes one miss checked box to drive a bench technician crazy for hours.
    Understood, and I had planned to swap ID's to eliminate that. But, since the customer couldn't make it in for a while, I called up the guys at the switch & had them check & sure enough, the encryption parameters were not set correctly for the affected ID. Mind you, it SHOULD have made it not work even for an encrypted talkgroup call, but that seemed to slip through no problem. Anyway, problem solved & thanks to all for the help.

Thanks

Understood, and I had planned to swap ID's to eliminate that. But, since the customer couldn't make it in for a while, I called up the guys at the switch & had them check & sure enough, the encryption parameters were not set correctly for the affected ID. Mind you, it SHOULD have made it not work even for an encrypted talkgroup call, but that seemed to slip through no problem. Anyway, problem solved & thanks to all for the help.
    Cool glad that it worked out for ya...