Thread: Wireline Firmware Update

mdanon1 No Longer Registered

Default Wireline Firmware Update

Hey Guys, I have seen this topic come up before but I never found a clear answer. I have an Epic II 4 wire wireline card with 20.09.0813 firmware. I just uploaded the latest 20.14.048 into the SCM and this went well. In fact I ended up doing 5 SCM's all without any issue. However, The wireline firmware never updates though it continues to work without any issue. Can any one advise if I am missing a step? I did notice in the help screen that it says "if the wireline needs to be updated" the SCM will do this. Is it possibly the case that, because the firmware on the wireline is compatible, it simply doesn't update?

Thanks for any help on this. Mark.

Thanks

What SCM model? Does it look like the wireline attempts to upgrade (as in do the red/green lights flash rapidly at any point during the boot process)? Also, what do you see in Status Report logs in RSS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdodd View Post
    What SCM model? Does it look like the wireline attempts to upgrade (as in do the red/green lights flash rapidly at any point during the boot process)? Also, what do you see in Status Report logs in RSS?

MDODD is correct. The wireline board firmware contains a boot loader. The SCM sends the wireline card the compatible firmware that matches what the SCM is using and the wireline card saves it in its flash memory. So, unless your wireline line card already has the latest firmware in it (i.e. you had the same wireline card in the station for all 5 upgrades) , or the firmware is so old that its not actually flash compatible, your probably ready to go. Click on the Version screen in the service section. If you have R020.09 something or later for your wireline, your good to go. You may have missed the actual update of your wireline card after the SCM card was updated. If your SCM and wireline card have part numbers that start with CLN, your most likely already to go. If someone changed out the firmware in the wireline card for old firmware that isn't compatable with flash, you'd see this in the error log.
    MJ.

Yup, that sounds like the issue. This wireline is a bit newer; its a CLN and has 20.09 so it sounds like that might be the issue. Everything does work correctly, I just assumed it should update. Thanks for the info.

Hey Mdodd, thank you as well for chiming in. The station ID's are as follows: SCM is a CLN6961 and the wireline is a CLN6955A, 4 wire. Boot 2 Firmware is 20.14.015 and Boot 1 Firmware is 20.10.013. The status log is clear for some reason and the codeplug version is 14. The wireline never did the quick flashing light thing. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mark.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdanon1 View Post
    Hey Mdodd, thank you as well for chiming in. The station ID's are as follows: SCM is a CLN6961 and the wireline is a CLN6955A, 4 wire. Boot 2 Firmware is 20.14.015 and Boot 1 Firmware is 20.10.013. The status log is clear for some reason and the codeplug version is 14. The wireline never did the quick flashing light thing. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mark.
    The boot 1 is the basic loader that comes on a new card - being R020.10.013 is perfectly OK. The Boot 2 firmware is what was loaded from the SCM. Your good to go. The firmware updated from the SCM. You may not have seen it do this, but it did.
    MJ.