Thread: Data over radio (P25 or Yaesu FT1DR or other)

Thanks

Default Data over radio (P25 or Yaesu FT1DR or other)

Say I'm an individual not trusting of the internet and having an affinity for Telnet.

Or I just want a wireless data bridge between two points.

The Yaesu literature seems to suggest that data can be sent over their proprietary digital format, and I've also heard the same can be done over P25. But is this feasible in a point to point IP bridge or serial data link? Has anyone done something like this?

I've heard of ICOM Dstar repeaters and their glorious 128K of data. Anybody used that?

As long as we're limited to 12.5K or 25K swaths of spectrum, I don't imagine we'll see any reasonable data links over radio.

syntrx No Longer Registered

You can do it over P25 easily on ASTRO 25 gear; just establish a PPP connection with the radio. Performance sucks balls though. Expect a maximum real world throughput of ~5000bps, with a 1-2 second round trip time. It's for the most part not worth it. It's fine for things like OTAR, blue force tracking and short text messaging, but very little else.

128Kbps D-Star has no error correction or interleaving; it just pumps Ethernet frames out over the air. Multipath will upset it really badly (so it's not usable mobile), and you'll see no more than a 60Kbps real world throughput, under ideal conditions. And the equipment is obscenely expensive for what little it does.

You're really better off using commodity 900MHz and 5.8GHz spread spectrum equipment, which will give you reliable multi Mbps links for very little cost.

Thanks

Yeah the latency would make even Telnet a PITA.

Thanks

I have heard of serial cables available for the EFJ 5100. How hard would it be to set up a serial point to point link over P25 (latency and other issues aside)?