Thread: 05 Head Display Glazing

MOTOROLANUT No Longer Registered

Default 05 Head Display Glazing

Running into quite a few XTL5000's with the 05 heads that the LCD clear plastic display lens is glazing over.
    Kind of a crusty clear film that has to be wiped off with a damp soft cloth to remove it. Happens about once a month repeatedly. Anyone having the same issues?

Thanks

Are they being cleaned by the end users? We've had dispatchers who believed everything needed to be wiped down thrice-daily with alcohol-based wipes. It kills plastics.

Thanks

There was an article on Repeater Builder about a guy recapping a Spectra with step by step photos. The last photos show him buffing the lens to get rid of the glazing. GARY

Quote Originally Posted by kf4lhp View Post
    Are they being cleaned by the end users? We've had dispatchers who believed everything needed to be wiped down thrice-daily with alcohol-based wipes. It kills plastics.
    No cleaning, the plastic lenses glaze over on their own. In order to get the glazing off you must wipe the lens gently with a damp soft towel. These are non smokers vehicles and nothing being spilled on the heads either. Its strange if ya ask me.

Thanks

Thanks when they reach that point I guess the polish will work. I would just like to find the cause..

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

Ultra-fine grained Metal polishing compounds work really well for shining up plastics, I have found. The last shop I used to work at had some brand which I can't remember but the other tech there used to use it to polish knobs and display windows on portable radios, and it worked very well. It took a few minutes of rubbing but they came out very nice looking. It came in tubes like toothpaste and there was a coarse and fine grained variety. The coarse worked well for polishing chassis and actual metal parts but the fine worked best on plastics (or if you wanted the metal to become mirror-like).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,008 Posts

I should try some of what you use for jet aircraft windscreens and see how it works.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Perhaps that would stop the chalking effect.