Thread: 5100 Series 4 Full Volume Issue

Thanks

Default 5100 Series 4 Full Volume Issue

Hello All,

First I want to thank everyone for the vast amount of info available on this site. I've read pretty much every thread about the EF Johnson 5100 series radios and have really learned a lot. I first started out playing with some of the 900 MHz ebay radios and now a couple weeks ago I bought a VHF version 4 off the same site in really good condition.

Using the vast amount of knowledge found here I was easily able to upgrade the firmware to 4.14.5 and everything had been working great. Previously I had been carrying the radio using the battery belt clip. On Friday I finally received a new radio case and have been carrying it in that all weekend. I noticed that being new leather it makes it a tight fit for the radio. Not extremely so, but it does take some force to seat and unseat the radio when changing batteries.

This afternoon I noticed the radio got really loud all of a sudden and the volume knob had no effect. The first time this happened it coincided with a low battery beep and icon. Switching batteries did not remedy the situation as the radio powered up at full volume. Shortly there after the radio again beeped for low battery.

After some testing I have noted that after sitting for "a while" with the battery off the radio powers up fine and the volume is normal. After about 5 minutes, the volume goes to max. I also left the radio sitting with the battery connected. When I first turned it on, it again was normal. Timing it, the radio went to full volume at 4 minutes. I then turned it off for a minute or two, then tried again, this time the problem occurred at 45 seconds. Also when the problem occurs, turning the radio back on in short order both with a battery change and without almost always ends up with the problem re-occurring immediately at power up.

I have not opened the radio at all, but could this be an issue with boards not seating properly? That's what I was initially thinking because of the force required when using the new case had jostled something loose, but just sitting the radio on the desk and not touching it after turning it on ends with the same results.

The more I think about it, it seems to be an audio amp or similar internal problem. The radio does not get unusually warm or hot so I don't believe it is related to the heat issue, although most of the day today I was carrying it in direct sunlight in near 80 F temperatures. However the issue did not start until afterwards, or at least I didn't notice it.

I didn't find any threads on the issue. Has anyone seen this before? I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Thanks.

Thanks

Here is my generic list of "what breaks on a 5100." Yours sounds like either a UI board issue (terminal, unfortunately) or a ribbon connector/case/knob issue.

http://axfp.org/node/116

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm really hoping it is just a loose connection.

I'll try taking the case off and checking/re-seating everything when I get a chance.

Thanks

Use a butter knife to pry the radio apart.