Thread: MDC on MTS 2000

aqua9ted No Longer Registered

Default MDC on MTS 2000

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade (or at least understand) how to flash MDC on my model I MTS 2000. I hear about this procedure called "dirty flash" but I'm unsure how it works. I'm hoping that it's possible for me to upgrade the flash. I don't think I can do it from the lab software because the firmware is too new and therefore "tool proof" I believe.

Anyone have any ideas?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

The so-called "Dirty" upgrade only applies to newer ASTRO25 radios like XTS2500-XTS5000, etc. and only will upgrade the firmware and DSP revision, it won't add or take away any options like MDC. There are other threads on the board here about modifying S-records, I'll go that far. Do more searching and reading...

Thanks

Well you would use Lab to read the S record and then you would hex edit the s record and then when you would basically blow the hacked s record back into the MTS

Thanks guys I appreciate the help and clarification! I've learned the hard way a couple of times when writing from lab software, so I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing!

P.S. I'm assuming the hex edits for the s records are available on the board somewhere?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,726 Times in 2,395 Posts

Guys, be mindful of the toolproofing issue with MTS2000 and firmware newer than 5.42 (I think).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 678 Posts

Yes, 5.42 and above are the problem firmware versions. To protect against illegal software copying and/or radio upgrades, Motorola built "toolproofing" into the MTS2000. If certain tools are used to upgrade a radio at that firmware level or higher, the radio will fail after being powered up.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    Yes, 5.42 and above are the problem firmware versions. To protect against illegal software copying and/or radio upgrades, Motorola built "toolproofing" into the MTS2000. If certain tools are used to upgrade a radio at that firmware level or higher, the radio will fail after being powered up.
    Is there anyway around that?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aqua9ted View Post
    Is there anyway around that?
    Here's a link to "Project Toolproof" on our site:

https://www.p25.ca/threads/577-Project-Toolproof

I appreciate the response from everyone. Now just have one more question, instead of trying to work my way around "tool proofed" firmware, I saw someone posted in the "project tool proof" forum that maybe you can just lower the firmware, write the new s-record, then upgrade again? Honestly, idc if I have the latest firmware. Or is that not possible to do? Thanks!

Thanks

That's the theory. I've never tested it.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    That's the theory. I've never tested it.
    Hmm, well I'm going to try and see if I can locate the old firmware and I'll post with any updates! Thanks again!

Thanks

Im pretty new here, so im not sure how "thread-bumping" is treated around here, so sorry if im not supposed to do this.

But just wondering how this went and if you tried it yet and had any luck with trying that?

Quote Originally Posted by bstafford View Post
    Im pretty new here, so im not sure how "thread-bumping" is treated around here, so sorry if im not supposed to do this.

But just wondering how this went and if you tried it yet and had any luck with trying that?
    So far I haven't found older firmware for the radio yet. The whole project seems to hinge on that at this point. Honestly, for what it's worth your probably better off trying to find a MTS with MDC already flashed on it. If you didn't already, reading the "Project Toolproof" thread, I think one of the members posted it; is real good information (it's inconclusive) just to understand a bit what "Toolproofing" is and the many steps they've taken to crack it!

Thanks!

P.S. I'm too new here to know how thread bumping goes too, but I've learned no one has trouble opening their mouth when you do something wrong! lol

Thanks

I already did read it, i was just wondering if anyone actaully tried and was able to get around it.

And i have one MTS2000 that has MDC, but i have one that does not so its not a huge deal or super important, its just that it would be nice to have it on both.