Thread: Astro Saber II 512 boards

saberthree No Longer Registered

bang Astro Saber II 512 boards

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with the astro saber 512 boards and flashing them for IMBE P25...I've heard mixed things about it that yes you can it works good, yes you can it sounds like **** and just a flat out no. I would much rather ask someone here that has experience or at least can give me an answer that makes sense.

At the moment, I do not know what the flashcode on the radio says...the battery is dead and I cant find the charger. I did check physically and noted that it is in fact a 512K board. anyway, thanks for your help guys

I forgot to mention, I wanted to use this radio for the ham bands in the 440 area, and conventional digital P25 operations to listen to local PD and fire. So I do not plan on using the radio for trunked systems if that will help clarify what I plan to use the radio for
    Last edited by saberthree; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: needed to add more info

Thanks

The highest host/dsp a 512k radio can have is R05.60.00/R06.05.04. This will allow the radio be accept an IMBE flashcode, but it still won't sound great. However, analog will be fine. While I have several Astro Sabers with 1 meg boards, & late host/dsp, I have 2 older 512k AS1's. They work on the ham bands fine in analog, & talk to each other fine in vselp. Remember, scanners can't decode vselp, but can on imbe. I'd just look for a 1 meg Astro Saber radio, as they're not expensive, or even a XTS3000, as they were all 1 meg. GARY

Thanks
    Thanked 8,449 Times in 2,326 Posts

There are ways to bump up the DSP on a 512K board to I08.03.05. It makes a huge difference in audio quality. Still no AGC however, as that's a host firmware prerequisite.

Thanks for the tip guys. I had this radio for a few years in storage, finally found it and see if I can still use it for multipurpose. I do plan on purchasing an ASIII in both UHF and VHF band, maybe a R version eventually. Im just fond of the radio and its background. I will buy a XTS3K or perhaps the XTS5K down the road, they are great radios. They are in my price range so hopefully soon Ill be able to purchase a few.

@Mars the 4K gets pretty good reception and transmission, was able to make good contacts 60 miles plus

Thanks

Keep this in mind - My method of operation for radios that old is to leave them as they lay. VSELP is an inherently secure platform, as there aren't any scanners to listen to it with, and there aren't that many portables/mobiles/repeaters left around that still support it. On top of that, software encryption actually works on it.

I guess it depends what you're doing. I was given a pair of ANCIENT AS3's recently that were both VSELP units, and I elected to keep them as-is. You can run them in the clear in VSELP mode in the amateur bands, and you might as well be encrypted! Security by obscurity. Just an observation.

If you want, PM me and I'll send you a 1MEG IMBE AS2 in exchange for it. Shipping is at your expense.

@ D119 When it comes to VSLEP I have no idea what your talking about haha. I've heard of the term but never looked into it, Im assuming its a form of modulation? or something used along with crypto? I have a long ways to go for learning radios.

All I have is the ASII 512k for UHF....are you sure your willing to trade for that? could you tell me the model and flash code for the radio?