Thread: Where to get spare parts for NLA Astro Spectra series?

Thanks

Default Where to get spare parts for NLA Astro Spectra series?

Hi there,

2 days ago when I was talking to my HAM friends on a local simplex channel (with only 65 watts), one of them noticed that there is something strange with my radio. The guy said: it seems that transmit power has dropped and the radio sounds like an old FM CB radio.

I have turned it off immediately and pulled the drawer unit out of under the the table. It was extremely hot, I nearly dropped it.

After measuring I have realized that only 2.1 watts is coming out and the PA is getting extremely hot after 1-2 seconds of transmit time.

I have taken the radio apart on the bench and....

The antenna switching diode (****) was broken (yes, it was broken into 2 pieces, phisycally visible!). Unfortunately this part is NLA at Motorola as I figured out. I have checked all my local HAM shops in the city (don't forget that I am from overseas) but they could not give any replacement parts.

So my favourite radio is just a big paperweight at the moment

The radio is a T04KLF9PW9AN 1MEG 2.5 kHz IMBE model with the latest firmware.

Can anyone advise where I can get replacement part for the (**** -Motorola Part number is: 4880121R01, part name from the catalog is: PWR PIN DIODE SMD TAPE & REEL).

At this point I am totally confused, there is no replacement part for the radio in my country. Please help!

Thank you in advance.

Thanks

The diode is a C R ****, I don't know why the system puts ****

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 651 Posts

A quick Internet search shows several suppliers in the U.S. - it's about a $35 part. Here's one supplier:

http://www.radioparts.com/motorola-4880121r01

Maybe someone on the forum has a junker that they can part out for you.

Thanks

I hope someone can help. That 33 USD + shipping is really expensive for me. If a diode like this is avaliable here, it only costs maximum 10 dollars or less (changed from our currency).

In worst case scenario I will have to order it from the US.

Will No Longer Registered

OK which power amplifier? And which diode? And the other diodes may be bad or even the receiver frontend may be bad from excessive TX power coming in past the antenna switch. This IS a common problem with a poor antenna match.

And YES I fix those here.

GS4 No Longer Registered

Here in the states the older legacy are dirt cheap, I have harvested the diodes out of them a few times now.

GS

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

Very true, the analog Spectra PA's are exactly the same and you can get a whole radio for $35-50 or so. If you can find one of the right range just swap the whole PA, otherwise you can harvest the PIN diodes and transplant them.

Thanks

That's true. But don't forget: if I buy an old analog radio just for parts (50 bucks) + shipping (100 bucks) + customs fees (up to 50 bucks). That's a lots of money compared to my monthly salary.

That's why I am only looking for diodes. Those are small parts and the shipping is much cheaper (around 24-29 bucks). Can anyone help me with the diodes? I am looking for the diode **** in the PA section. The last diode before the harmonic filter. I'd need several pieces just to make sure this never happens again.

I'd pay with PayPal. You can look me up at E-Bay. I have a 100% feedback from 2009-2013 and with 165 feedbacks.

Thanks

So it seems that noone has a junked old legacy analog Spectra to get those diodes

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

I have a whole box full of old Range 1 (403-430 MHz) PA's I have swapped on radios, but you say the postage is too expensive. If you can't find them ANYWHERE I can probably extract a few for you, but I'll have to crank up the irons and go through the effort of pulling them.

Thanks

The diode is number **** in the PA section. I have made some telephone calls today to my favourite HAM shops, but they all laughed and asked: why would I need a diode like that?

So it is really hard to get parts to US radios here in Europe.

Can you please make a rough calculation on the shipping? I think it will be around 24,95 when using USPS Flat Rate Padded Envelope.

Thanks

That looks right. You could send it first class for less but lord knows if it would get there.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

I have ordered several stuff from the US via E-Bay, and up to this day 100% of them arrived Don't be so negative

Thanks

I sent a rather expensive but small part to a board member here using USPS first class, in December, he still has not received it. I had to send another one, and lost out on several hundred dollars. I will never send anything else first class.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

I had very good impressions with all of USPS services. Cheap and reliable.

PS: where did you send those items to? Overseas? Which country?

Thanks

I managed to get two RF pin diodes (UM9401) from two wrecked Yaesu VHF mobile radios at a local Yaesu radio dealer. From datasheet, the diodes seems to be 100W types. I have put the 2 diodes in parallel into the Astro Spectra, and set the Spectra's RF output power to 50W. THe diodes are getting really hot when transmitting but they are working fine. I have ordered an UM9415 RF pin diode (can be applied up to 1000 watts) from rfparts.com and I'll replace the UM9401 types.

It works now, but I don't know how long Maybe I am lucky and it will not burn away until the UM9415 arrives.