Thread: APX Software on eBay

Thanks

Default APX Software on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    A good idea. Perhaps others considering using leaked internal software will read between the lines and realize the potential to screw up a radio is very real and easy to do.
    I just saw on EBAY that you can buy the APX 7000 software and tuner software for 30 bucks. It must be the wild wild west on that site. CRAZY how somebody would have such balls to try and sell proprietary software on the net for personal gain. Motorola should go out there and slap that person on the hand
    Remember to not take life so seriously. Nobody ever gets out alive....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
    I just saw on EBAY that you can buy the APX 7000 software and tuner software for 30 bucks. It must be the wild wild west on that site. CRAZY how somebody would have such balls to try and sell proprietary software on the net for personal gain. Motorola should go out there and slap that person on the hand
    You would be THAT lenient? I take it a little more personally when someone is selling software that I have to PAY for, and that I use to make a living with. They are taking my house payment. Come around me with your stolen software and you'll be lucky to leave with enough extra sperm to father a gopher.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 2,413 Posts

Motorola needs to be more vigilant. It only makes them look bad when they do not go after these pieces of turd.

Yaesu No Longer Registered

Has anyone though of contacting the SPA (Software Piracy Association)?

syntrx No Longer Registered

It comes down to economics.

They probably worked out it was costing them more to chase this **** down than they were actually losing in terms of revenue.

Thanks

I would think that the vast majority of people that have an APX radio would buy legit software to keep receiving the latest firmware and software updates, they are not cheap radios and usually folks willing to spend that kind of money, even on e-bay APX's, are more likely to buy legal software, not the case for other models that can be bought cheaply and very few software upgrades available, so that is why no big rush to stop APX software sales, especially since new versions come out so often at this time, if someone kept buying new versions of the APX when it goes on e-bay, it would be cheaper to just buy the legal software and get the free upgrades...just my thoughts

Yaesu No Longer Registered

Moto could be collecting all the sellers info and go after them in one swoop like DirecTV did with the folks that purchased stuff online - Pay us $4000 and we'll leave you alone.

DirectTV was able to take 10 people to court at one time, rather than having 10 separate court cases. At $10,000 times 10 people, Dtv wins $100,000.

Maybe the "Quiet before the storm"? By letting people sell many copies of CPS, Moto can get them on multiple copyright infringements. Could it be Moto is letting these people hang themselves by letting them keep selling and racking up numerous copyright infringements?

Time will tell.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 695 Posts

I split this discussion off from the APX Depot thread since it doesn't relate to Depot per se.
    Last edited by Number 6; Jul 27, 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yaesu View Post
    Moto could be collecting all the sellers info and go after them in one swoop like DirecTV did with the folks that purchased stuff online - Pay us $4000 and we'll leave you alone.

DirectTV was able to take 10 people to court at one time, rather than having 10 separate court cases. At $10,000 times 10 people, Dtv wins $100,000.

Maybe the "Quiet before the storm"? By letting people sell many copies of CPS, Moto can get them on multiple copyright infringements. Could it be Moto is letting these people hang themselves by letting them keep selling and racking up numerous copyright infringements?

Time will tell.....

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) a single lawsuit against multiple defendants such as in the DirectTV litigation, Hurt Locker litigation, and others, is becoming increasingly more difficult due to past abuse. Cases have even been dismissed due to naming scores of unrelated defendants in a lawsuit.

In the U.S., the rules for federal litigation require that the defendants' infringement involve the "same transaction, occurrence or series of transactions or occurrences" in order for joinder to be proper. That translates to greater enforcement costs for the owner and a higher likelihood that the infringer will get away with the infringement if there is not a lot of money at stake.

Infringers who sell multiple copies of a protected work increase their exposure because the potential damages increase. But still, how many copies of CPS would someone have to sell in order to make spending tens of thousands of dollars on a lawsuit make sense? And, assuming you can even find the infringers in the first place, how do you squeeze blood out of a turnip? These infringers aren't going to have any money.

That's why, in my opinion, Motorola (and others) don't go after the illicit sales that you see on eBay. The approach taken by DirecTV, the Hurt Locker litigants, and others has been to demand a settlement amount that is entirely unrelated to their actual loss, but is intended to scare the infringer into coughing up the money. It's extortion and an improper attempt to bypass the legal system.

There simply needs to be a better way to address counterfeiting, copyright infringement, etc., and one where members of the public (like us) can assist with enforcement. Unless and until enforcement becomes more efficient, cost effective, and easier to implement, these dirty rotten infringers are going to continue to lie, cheat and steal their way through life.

(stepping down from soapbox now).