Thread: HP 8924C - How do you generate external tones?

Thanks

Default HP 8924C - How do you generate external tones?

In the past, I used a Fluke 6061B to generate RF for testing pagers. I would feed audio from another source that would generate the pager tones and the Fluke would spit that out over the RF and I could test the pagers.

I recently bought an 8924C and cannot get it to do the same as the Fluke did. It will generate RF on the frequency and I can get it to spit out internally generated tones, but no external. The service monitor hears the tones that I am generating, but they are not broadcast over the air on the frequency that I have the monitor set to. I guess I can put the Fluke back on the bench to do this, but if I can find a way for the 8924C to do it, that would be even better.

Does anyone know which settings I need to put the 8924C on to get this to work?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,027 Posts

First off, have you downloaded the manual for this unit?

The 8924 is very similar to the 8920 so either manual should work for what you want to do. I know that the 8920 generates any sequence of tone paging internally, all you have to do is set it up for timing, spacing, and frequencies, since the universal generator doesn't have presets (until you make them). You shouldn't have any issues generating internal paging tones with the 8924 and feeding them directly to the RF section of the unit.

I'm not sitting in front of mine at the moment, and won't be in the office until Tuesday but should be able to tell you where this screen is on the 8920, anyway.

If you go to the repeater-builder website, look under test equipment, there is an extensive directory of all the manuals you will need for your instrument.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

I was finally able to get the 8924C manual downloaded. All of the ones that said they were previously were actually for the 8920. I'm reading up on it now. I just liked the convenience of the external input on the 6061B.

Thanks

Got it. I guess I was still in the mind-set of having more than one peice of equipment. I was able to set the tones/timing and it does it all without a bunch of extra cabling/equipment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,027 Posts

You will find that having one instrument is a lot better. I did, especially now that my test bench has three 24 inch wide screen computer monitors on it. The 8920 sits below the Aeroflex, and one of the screens is for the Aeroflex. The other two are for the PC. Most everything is run from the PC now. I find that when I need a multi-trace scope, I have to roll out the scope cart....

I think my next bench design is going to include some tilt down shelving just above head level like a cockpit, if I can work it out. Now if only they would make a cordless vacuum desolder station....
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon