Thread: Requirements for GMRS Repeater

Thanks

Default Requirements for GMRS Repeater

I have just received my new GMRS call sign, and I have a set of (well tuned) Part 90 HTs and a classic Motorola "back to back" GM300 repeater + duplexer + a nice GMRS style controller w/ ID.

My interpretation of the FCC requirements for a station means that if I want to put a repeater up at the registered station address, I can do that. Though another interpretation would be that there's a separate (but nameless and numberless) form I fill out to register my repeater. Which interpretation is correct?

(I'm aware that Part 90 HTs are not Part 95 HTs...I've decided the FCC has more things to worry about than higher quality than normal but not type certified GMRS radios. Are there any 95 certified 90-like HTs besides those abominable overpriced yellow chinese MS350R?)

Will No Longer Registered

Congratulations.
    The equipment you mention is still usable in GMRS and covered in Part 95. There is no requirement to 'register' the repeater as it IS covered by/under your GMRS license. The repeater does not have to be at your 'registered address' either.

Depending where you are, coordinating with existing GMRS repeaters would be a good thing. IIRC, you are out in the boonies and will not have a problem.

Thanks

I'm in Eastern MA, but I believe the local club died and I've reached out to the one remaining distant repeater operator on the frequency pair I want to use.

Will No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by broadcom View Post
    I'm in Eastern MA, but I believe the local club died and I've reached out to the one remaining distant repeater operator on the frequency pair I want to use.
    Good way to go, you will have a different PL code and depending how far the other one is it should not be a problem.