Thread: Astro XTS 3000 programming question

cvfdchief No Longer Registered

Default Astro XTS 3000 programming question

Hi everyone, I am attempting to program a few XTS 3000s, I get the message "communication failed with radio" on the pc, however on the radio, it enters a service mode (I think), a message on the screen of the radio shows 1 CSQ, using one of the small buttons just above the ptt button, the 1 will scroll up through 7, using the other the SCQ will scroll to TPL, SCR, AST, USR, then back to CSQ. I am using CPS R05.03.00 (ASTRO SABER XTS 3000), the model# is H09RDF9PW7AN, Flashport Mfg. Code is 1400010000003. I am farmiliar with programming Kenwood Radios, however this I my first attempt at programming Motorola Radios, I have not encountered this type of message (on the radio) prior to this, any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 651 Posts

It could be any number of problems ranging from trying to run CPS in Windows 7 instead of XP to a cable problem to a rib problem to using the wrong port, etc. If you run CPS under Windows XP, use a real Motorola RIB and cable, and still have problems, then it's probably your radio. If you are using a "ribless" type cable and a USB to serial adapter, that's likely to be your problem. Search the forum and you will find other discussions of this same problem.

cvfdchief No Longer Registered

Thank you, I installed my CPS on an XP pc and it works fine now.

Thanks

Right click on your shortcut/exe and "Run as Administrator"

That usually clears up most "This program used to work on XP and doesn't on 7" problems, especially with USB issues.

Thanks

It may be worth mentioning for the Windows 7 users that : If you want to run the Astro Saber & XTS 3000 CPS natively, you have to be running a 32-bit version of the operating system (keyword : natively, not through Virtual PC/XP Mode, VMware, Virtual Sandbox, etc.)

For more information on why this occurs, you may find this helpful : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64#I...e_applications

W.O.W. is something that not a ton of folks seem to know about, but is an extremely critical part of Windows (especially now with so many 64-bit installs out there and a lack of 64-bit application development). W.O.W. used to be a way to make sure that super old Windows 3.x and DOS applications ran correctly.

Since Microsoft is still reluctant to push their customers to a full 64-bit environment, you can still get away with running _SOME_ older Motorola software natively on newer operationg systems (meaning : You can still buy 32-bit OSes, you can even buy a 32-bit version of Windows 8... which according to Microsoft's older press releases wasn't supposed to be possible!)

Out of curiousity, has anyone attempted to run the Astro Saber & XTS 3000 CPS on a 32-bit version of Windows 8?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadcom View Post
    Right click on your shortcut/exe and "Run as Administrator"

That usually clears up most "This program used to work on XP and doesn't on 7" problems, especially with USB issues.
    This.

I've been running R05.03.00 on Win7 with no issues using "run as administrator".
    When in danger,
    When in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 738 Posts

That.

Will work on 32-bit Win7 only. The 64 bit version is a no-go, you'll have to run it in the Virtual XP window or some other virtualization of XP.