Thread: Proud owner of an MTS2000 with a question

TelxonMan No Longer Registered

Default Proud owner of an MTS2000 with a question

I recently bought an MTS2000 from a fellow Ham to use as my main VHF HT. He told me to stay away from the RIB-less cables, as they can brick the radio. Is this just his opinion, or is this likely to happen?
    Here's the cable I'm looking at:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Programming-...-/141028445880

The radio only has 2 local repeaters in it, and I'd like to get our 2 Skywarn repeaters in it as soon as I can, but can really only afford the RIB-less cable at the moment.

Wise choice or not?
    Will

Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 689 Posts

With expensive Motorola radios, the popular view is that you would be foolish to use an aftermarket cable. In the case of your MTS2000, you could end up paying more for a Motorola RIB and Jedi series cable than you paid for the radio, so you can more readily accept the risk of bricking your radio. That being said, I have that same cable and used it with an MTS2000 for years without any problem. Run Windows XP on a computer with a real serial port, and the cable should work fine.

Thanks, I appreciate the input! I heard about the same input on the Yahoo group, so I'll go with it.
    If any mods are viewing this, please delete my second new thread, as I didn't realize there was an approval delay and tried to post again. Sorry!

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Deleted as per your request.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Will No Longer Registered

To add there is a known problem with some computers and the factory Motorola RIB, the RIB does not conform to the RS232 serial port standard. So you could have a communications problem with your MTS2000 radio.

And all the aftermarket RIB s are just copies of the piss poor Motorola RIB, and subject to the same problems.

I have not seen this problem with the so called "RIB less" serial cables.

Will, well, that makes me feel good, as I'm getting the RIB-less one. Most of my PC's with serial ports seem to not have problems with communicating with stuff, and I used to do a LOT of RS232 stuff. everything from barcode scanners, radios, other computers, ... If one PC has serial problems, I'll use another one. Heck, I even have windows 95 and 98 machines if I need them for stuff!

From one Will to another, thanks!

Ok, I've been reading about backing up certain things on these radios to avoid bricking them, like the "S-record" and a "codeplug". Is this done in the CPS software? What exactly is a codeplug?

I don't intend on changing anything other than frequencies, button functions, etc. Not planning to mess with firmware etc.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

Funny you should ask. Someone else just asked the same question, so here's a running thread about codeplugs:

https://www.p25.ca/threads/4103-Code...ns-from-a-n00b

Thanks

I use a similar cable to program my MTS2000, & XTS3000 radios with a XP machine. Never a problem. However 1 particular MTS with recent CPS, & 5.41 fw won't program with that cable. For that radio I need to use a rib, & cable. GARY

Thanks

I have had no problem with KAWA cables. Ever.

MTS2000 programs with the HT1000 equivalent cable. XTS2500 uses a different one, XTS3000 uses HT1000 as well IIRC.

You'd think that with the same connector they'd just keep the programming contacts the same on their radios? Of course not.

Thanks

I use Genuine Motorola, KAWA and Valley Enterprises.
    Common sense is Uncommon.
    You can't fix stupid, but eventually it takes care of itself.

Ok, the cable I ordered was the KAWA one, and from what I've read, they are pretty good as far as cables and such go. Thanks for the help, and thanks for the code plug info too, interesting.

Radio is programmed! I can't seem to set the scan function up, but I'll play with it some more. The software takes some learning, but once you figure out the "personalities" and what not, it's not hard. I plan to do a vid on basic programming, as no one on Youtube has one yet. (fail)

Anyway, thanks for all the help all of you have given, I'll stick around and see what else I can learn on here.

apco25guy No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by TelxonMan View Post
    Radio is programmed! I can't seem to set the scan function up, but I'll play with it some more. The software takes some learning, but once you figure out the "personalities" and what not, it's not hard. I plan to do a vid on basic programming, as no one on Youtube has one yet. (fail)
    Congrats on the new radio and everything working out for you. I would suggest holding off on the video, until you are very confident and know your way around the 'Codeplug' before you try to show others how to do it. Just my two cents. Take em' for what they're worth.
    Again, glad to see you are making progress making the radio do what you want it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by apco25guy View Post
    Congrats on the new radio and everything working out for you. I would suggest holding off on the video, until you are very confident and know your way around the 'Codeplug' before you try to show others how to do it. Just my two cents. Take em' for what they're worth.
    Again, glad to see you are making progress making the radio do what you want it to do.
    Ok, that makes sense, as I don't want to accidentally mislead someone or omit something important. Any idea how to back up the "s record"? I didn't see an option for that in the software, and heard it's an important thing to do.