Thread: Codeplugs - questions from a n00b

Thanks

Default Codeplugs - questions from a n00b

Hi guys,

I have asked elsewhere about codeplugs with little response - so here goes ..

With Motorola's CPS - I can download a codeplug from a radio that I have access to and save it on my PC.
    (The codeplug has a Password ? which I know or at least have to enter to "read" the codeplug).

Q1. In simple terms what is a codeplug (I've read Motorola's ADK and it refers to personalities etc ..) ?
    Q2. Are Radio numbers and Aliases kept in the codeplug ?
    Q3. Is there a defined format for a codeplug ?
    Q4. Has anyone succeeded in producing a Contacts list (CSV etc) from a codeplug ?

You can probably see which direction this is heading - so any assistance would be appreciated.

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 448 Posts

Answers

1: a codeplug is just the memory assignments of the user information programmed into the radio.

2: depending on the specific model line yes all user enterable information is in the codeplug. There are some exeptions like encryption keys and some "authentication" data. As said this veries from product line to product line.

3: Yes and No. All codeplugs for a particular product will follow the same pattern but the pattern will often vary from firmware version to firmware version. Different product lines will have totally different codeplug structures. many of these structures will be constructed similarly. Moto likes to assign a block number to a specific type of date eg zone names then when that block is read from the codeplug the CPS knows that block XX is zone names so it populated that particular feild in the CPS with what it finds in the block.

4: On some radios the list is easilly found in the codeplug. many times its just a matter of taking an srecord image and reducing it to the raw binary data and filtering fro the desired data.

Things to bear in mind. A codeplug and a srecord are not the same thing. many codeplugs are encoded by the cps so reading the saved archive will just give "garbage" when looked at. Newer radio lines also have other methods that render a saved codeplug even more unreadable with external methods.

Thanks

This interesting article explains why it's called a codeplug, in case anyone is dying to find out: http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...ogramming.html

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

The TL;DR of it is that pagers used to have the paging CODE burned into a ROM that was in a SIP package, that you PLUGged into the pager into a small socket inside. CODE+PLUG - get it?

The old "Suitcase" R1801A programmer would burn the various radio, pager and cell phone ROM's, including pager CODEPLUGs.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing some of this term's history!

I appreciate your time.

cheers