Thread: Issues charging Astro Saber Batteries

Thanks

Default Issues charging Astro Saber Batteries

Hey guys,

Recently I purchased some new Motorola MX1000 - 7.2 Volt/1900 mah/Li-Lon batteries for my Astro Saber IIIs. Basically I was looking for some smaller batteries reducing the overall size of the radio. http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...on-p/r1102.htm

They appear to work fine in the Sabers, however they will not charge in my charger; getting that Yellow no battery indicator flashing symbol. Should these not charge in my charger? Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Jody

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 539 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Levesque_ATR View Post
    Hey guys,

Recently I purchased some new Motorola MX1000 - 7.2 Volt/1900 mah/Li-Lon batteries for my Astro Saber IIIs. Basically I was looking for some smaller batteries reducing the overall size of the radio. http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...on-p/r1102.htm

They appear to work fine in the Sabers, however they will not charge in my charger; getting that Yellow no battery indicator flashing symbol. Should these not charge in my charger? Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Jody
    What model of charger are you trying to use? Only chargers that are properly equipped can charge Li-ON batteries. If it looks like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-SAB...item35ca56ca37

It will NOT charge Lithium batteries.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

Those also will not work with an AVA (Mobile Converta-Com adapter), the "Port-A-Pocket" slow charger, or the older series 6-banger rapid chargers (unless they bear the sticker "Tri-Chemistry Updated" on the underside) either.

Thanks

Ah yes, those are exactly mine.. And that makes sense. Any idea on what charger I would need for these?

Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000DES View Post
    What model of charger are you trying to use? Only chargers that are properly equipped can charge Li-ON batteries. If it looks like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-SAB...item35ca56ca37

It will NOT charge Lithium batteries.

Thanks

An impress charger, I don't have the part number handy.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

Or the later 6-bangers that have been modified, as I said - you need to look underneath to see if it has been "upgraded". Another way to tell is if the pockets will do XTS3000/5000 batteries and radios as well as Saber/Astro Saber batteries. The pockets are wider and have internal ridges to accommodate both types of batteries, I believe all of them are of later design and are the Tri-Chem type. The earlier ones would either do Jedi (XTS) or Saber, but not both types in one.

Otherwise, as Magnus said, any of the IMPRES chargers, single or 6 banger will do.

Thanks

The tri chem charger I use is the NTN8831A. I only use my Impress charger for Impress batteries, although it will charge your batteries. I have found these tri chem chargers at ham fests for $5, w/o the wall wart. GARY