Thread: Xtl5000 tib problems

Thanks

bang Xtl5000 tib problems

Hi have an xtl5000 O5 high power vhf and i went to hook up a svr200 to the accessory connector and as soon as i did it started transmitting and would stop until i disconnected the power from the brick. I disconnected the svr200 and powered the brick back up and it started to transmit right away again. I can still read and write the unit but it seems that something on the tib board has shorted out on the accessory connector because when took the tib off the radio i can smell the wonderfull smell of burnt electronics from the area of the accessory connector. Im wondering if it is worth the 200$ for a new tib board or just send it in for flat rate repair at im sure a scary price . Any help will be greatly appreciated i fairly new to xtl5000's.

Thanks
    Cody

Thanks

Unless you have another O5 TIB to shotgun and see if nothing else was damaged on the radio. If not I would Flat Rate it. Just my opinion. Sorry to hear about your problems, gives you kind of a sinking fealing when you smell burnt electronics. Did you figure out were the wiring went wrong with the interfaceing with the SVR?
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

Ya i dont really want to buy i new tib and it possibly fix the always transmitting problem and there be some else screwed from it so its looking likes its going in for flat rate repair unless any one else has any ideas. I havent had time to take a look at went wrong with the interface cable guessing the wrong wire got put some were . Any every make there own cable to hook up an svr200 to a xtl5k high power?

Thanks

I believe the high power mobiles are remote mount. If my memory is correct the emergency jumper is in the accessory connector on the remote mount radios. If that is not in place it could be transmitting the emergency chirp. Check to make sure the jumper is in place and you didn't accidentally dislodge it when you were wiring in the repeater.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,003 Posts

The newest mod for the SVR200 requires a factory (Pyramid) 'Smart' cable which has all the electronics built in. Did you use the app notes downloaded from the Pyramid site, and did you use the correct set for the type of cable interface you are contemplating?

The Smart Cable requires no internal mods to the radio, all in all a much better approach than taking the radio apart and wiring jumpers and other crud into an otherwise perfectly good radio.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

I sent the radio out for flat rate repair and no i didn't see the added note about wiring the jumpers on the radio its self. Once i get the radio back (hopefully it not gone for to long) i'm going to order the smart cable ($175) and programming cable from pyramid. Does anyone one if you can use the VRS soft key on the O5 control head to turn the svr200 on and off like the Motorola VRS's ?