Thread: XTS2500 Impres Battery Question

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 277 Posts

Question XTS2500 Impres Battery Question

I have just bought a Panter88888 Motorola XTS2500 Model: H46QDH9PW7AN (Host R09.00.28, DSP R16.00.01), New Impres NNTN7335A Li-Ion Battery, and a Used Impres WPLN4114AR (FW Version: 3.30) Charger.

As I have previously read, the battery needs to be charged first on an Impres charger for the battery statistics to be shown. I let the battery recondition and charge overnight. When I turned on the radio and opened the "BATT" menu, the "RatedCap%" and the "Rem.Cap" both show "--" instead of the value.

Is this a problem with the radio, battery, charger or some menu item that I am not aware of? I have used HT1250's before this and the new CPS is almost overwhelming in it's feature set!

Thanks!

Edit: The CPS version is 19.01.00.
    Last edited by duggerd; Aug 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Spelling / CPS Version

Thanks

First, make sure you are waiting for the battery gauge to appear on the display before hitting BATT.
    Takes a second or two.
    if the gauge doesn't ever appear then the radio and battery aren't communicating.
    I have a battery (NiMH) that intermittently doesn't pass data on to the radio. (multiple radios)
    If you put it in the Impres battery reader, it always shows up OK.
    And it works just fine for battery life.
    I suspect a problem with the contacts.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

This is a known problem with IMPRES batteries/chargers/radios. It's not a contact problem and sometimes the indicator will never come back.

The whole IMPRES system sucks donkey balls (bollocks, testicles, nuts, etc.) - the batteries randomly go into what I call "stupid mode" where that's all you get is dashes for all 3 lines or sometimes you get one line of data. If plugged into an IMPRES charger, the display will read the battery chemistry and serial number but then won't read the stats for percent charge remaining or number of charges, etc. Major FAIL in the Brain Department.

Also even when the POS is working "right" (more or less) the display and indicator LED don't agree with each other as far as state of charge all the time. The display will flash red (error), but the display will say it's happily charging away, or it will say it's in condition mode (yellow LED) but the display will read "Rapid Charge...". That's some major suckage at work right there.

The whole IMPRES system is a misbegotten bug-ridden piece of sh*t and they should recall/supersede them ASAP.

Thanks

I have a battery that's buggy like that too. I don't notice any reduction in charge life when it happens..
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

Thanks

Wow, that's surprising! I would think for such an expensive radio, they could've got the smart battery function to work correctly.

I don't use this radio for anything but personal use at a hotel, but for people who use it for public safety, you know, having a battery that doesn't know it's charged might be a problem!

I left it in the charger last night for another cycle and the first couple of times I turned it on the "EST CHGS" was at "--" along with the other values. Then I pulled the battery out and tried it again and the "EST CHGS" was back at "4".

Well, I guess I can't have everything, but thanks for the help.

Thanks

Sometimes a new battery after it runs the "calibrating battery" funtion finishes, you put it on the radio and no battery meter or information is displayed. I would put the battery back in the charger and force it to do a recondition (Orange LED) and the battery would imediatly start another calibration. After the second calibration everything was displaying correctly on the radio. I am using a six bank charger with the LCD displays in the pockets.

We have hundreds of Impress batteries in the field and I can only recall a few times when an impress battery did not display information on the radio and/or charger. And have never seen the charger display displaying something different than the led.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    This is a known problem with IMPRES batteries/chargers/radios. It's not a contact problem and sometimes the indicator will never come back.

The whole IMPRES system sucks donkey balls (bollocks, testicles, nuts, etc.) - the batteries randomly go into what I call "stupid mode" where that's all you get is dashes for all 3 lines or sometimes you get one line of data. If plugged into an IMPRES charger, the display will read the battery chemistry and serial number but then won't read the stats for percent charge remaining or number of charges, etc. Major FAIL in the Brain Department.

Also even when the POS is working "right" (more or less) the display and indicator LED don't agree with each other as far as state of charge all the time. The display will flash red (error), but the display will say it's happily charging away, or it will say it's in condition mode (yellow LED) but the display will read "Rapid Charge...". That's some major suckage at work right there.

The whole IMPRES system is a misbegotten bug-ridden piece of sh*t and they should recall/supersede them ASAP.
    You don't happen to have a 6 bank charger do ya, I have seen where someone had installed displays and had the displays crossed between charger pockets. Out of all the batteries and chargers we have I have never seen this problem. What version is your charger? We have been totally Impressed with the IMPRES, LOL. Sorry to hear about your bad experiance.

Update:
    I just talked to my buddy who had purchased a radio from panter (I though that name rang a bell) He bought only the radio from him. ( he loves the radio FPP and all the features) And then purchased off ebay an IMPRES battery and IMPRES single charger. Both from seperate sellers.
    He said he had the same problem no battery meter, or stats. I will have him bring it by sometime and see if my charger will read the battery. I will also put one of my known good batteries and see if the radio will display the info and battey meter. Just FYI.
    Last edited by moetorola; Aug 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

Well, I finally managed to get the information to show up on the radio. It took about six charging/reconditioning cycles for the battery info to show up. I guess you just have to do it enough times for the statistics to start working.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    You don't happen to have a 6 bank charger do ya, I have seen where someone had installed displays and had the displays crossed between charger pockets. Out of all the batteries and chargers we have I have never seen this problem. What version is your charger? We have been totally Impressed with the IMPRES, LOL. Sorry to hear about your bad experiance.

Update:
    I just talked to my buddy who had purchased a radio from panter (I though that name rang a bell) He bought only the radio from him. ( he loves the radio FPP and all the features) And then purchased off ebay an IMPRES battery and IMPRES single charger. Both from seperate sellers.
    He said he had the same problem no battery meter, or stats. I will have him bring it by sometime and see if my charger will read the battery. I will also put one of my known good batteries and see if the radio will display the info and battey meter. Just FYI.
    I put my buddies battery on my Impress display charger, and no Impress info could be displayed. It appeared as though he may have gotten a china Moto rip off battery. Although it does hold a charge all day long he says.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duggerd View Post
    Well, I finally managed to get the information to show up on the radio. It took about six charging/reconditioning cycles for the battery info to show up. I guess you just have to do it enough times for the statistics to start working.
    No. It may be working now, but in a week, or a month it will mysteriously go out again, and may stay out for an unknown number of cycles. Total crap.

moto462575 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Same problem here, I just ignore it (I am not Impressed). As Alpha said, IMPRES is JUNK!

Thanks

Using version 3.90 chargers here, no problem. Most batteries are NNTN4437B and a few NNTN6263A.

I believe v3.90 is latest charger firmware.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

After years of running Impres batteries I finally ran into problems.

My 3 year old ultra high cap APX battery was stuck at Discharging with 0% in my SUC with display hacked on. This battery was still in the high 90's as far as capacity goes.

Both my chargers showed that the battery was unchargeable. Ended up having to **** around with it to get if fully charged. It would charge for a while and then show unchargeable. Sometimes the led would indicate it was charging but the display was stuck in an endless loop or it indicated something otherwise. Kept checking it every hour or so, removing and reinserting until it started to charge again.

Swapped my small battery in and now its acting up. Shows gibberish where the part number should be, indicates its unchargeable but the led indicated it was charging. Left it overnight and it charged. At that point the display indicated no battery.

Going to try my MUC first in case it's a problem with my SUC. APX shows the battery information fine.

Wondering if its a problem with my SUC or the battery. Also wondering if the new firmware in the APX could have something to do with it but as far as I know, the APX only reads the battery and doesn't write to it.

What a PITA.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

In sticking with Cyrus' post, I just got a newer IMPRES battery (NNTN4437B, date code 112) with a recent radio purchase, and it has similar issues. There are weird characters where the part number should be (see pic) and it seems really confused sometimes.

NNTN4437_zpsab423a3e.jpg
    I don't want to beat the hell out of the already well dead horse, but for a fairly pricey battery, this shouldn't happen. How Motorola doesn't seem to really care about these issues is beyond me.

As for the battery, I knew it had issues and the seller was up front about that. (I didn't really need the battery, it was just a bonus.)

Thanks

As for the TS's situation, I suggest a problem with the radio.
    Since Host is R09 and DSP is R16, I guess it is a "AN" (4 mb flash) radio. When I used to have AN XTS2500 (hos was R07.xx.xx) it was very buggy about the Impres batteries. It only displayed the battery info if the battery was more than 50 percent charged. No matter how often you recondition it, the gauge always worked the same. Meanwhile, if I attached the same battery to the BN (8mb) radio it worked like charm, no matter how much charge was left.

So I upgraded to the BN radio after all. This battery issue freaked me out.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I also noticed it would not display over 100% on the radio too. The battery frequently exceeds spec and reads typically "120%" or "140%" for a very fresh new battery on the charger. The radio display on them always reads 100% regardless of overage. WHEN it decides to read it. I have a mix of 2500 and 5000 batteries and the problems seem spread across all models of radio and sizes of battery. The remaining charge in mA/H seems correct, again, WHEN the radio decides to display it.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,393 Times in 2,317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p25smartzone View Post
    In sticking with Cyrus' post, I just got a newer IMPRES battery (NNTN4437B, date code 112) with a recent radio purchase, and it has similar issues. There are weird characters where the part number should be (see pic) and it seems really confused sometimes.
    Do you know the origin (besides coming with your radio) of the battery?

I've seen fake IMPRES garbage on eBay lately. I got scammed with a charger purchase and a friend of mine purchased some NTN8610 (XTS slim LION, non IMPRES) batteries and they turned out to be fake garbage which won't even charge.

As much as it pains me to say this, most of the time it's best to pay the higher price and deal with Moto. Although Moto doesn't offer any high-capacity Saber solutions, so I go with aftermarket NiMH on those ones

Thanks

I heard one radio guy say that the /\/\ installs more cells in their new Impres batteries than it is really required for a given capacity. As the battery gets older, some cells die and extra cells help to keep the battery up to rated capacity for a longer period...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,393 Times in 2,317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eaton View Post
    I heard one radio guy say that the /\/\ installs more cells in their new Impres batteries than it is really required for a given capacity. As the battery gets older, some cells die and extra cells help to keep the battery up to rated capacity for a longer period...
    I wonder if that explains why they always initialize beyond their advertised capacity? I had a few APX batteries which charged to at least 200mah beyond what they were rated for. Impressive (No pun intended)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I wonder if that explains why they always initialize beyond their advertised capacity? I had a few APX batteries which charged to at least 200mah beyond what they were rated for. Impressive (No pun intended)
    I've seen this too. Got NNTN7335A batteries from 2009 that originally initalized at 102-105%. The latest batteries bought (NNTN7335B) are topping out at 120%. Also, I've initalized CRAP LOADS of 7335A batteries through the display MUCs in my shop before they get sent to the field. Never seen the gibberish on the display like some are seeing here. Every once in awhile, radio (XTS2500i Model 1.5) will cease to show battery gauge, I just tell user to do a recontition cycle in their SUC and everything comes back normal. Don't have F/W rev. here with me but would be current in mid 2009 when stuff was bought. Most of radio F/W in my fleet is still at 12.xx.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Do you know the origin (besides coming with your radio) of the battery?

I've seen fake IMPRES garbage on eBay lately. I got scammed with a charger purchase and a friend of mine purchased some NTN8610 (XTS slim LION, non IMPRES) batteries and they turned out to be fake garbage which won't even charge.

As much as it pains me to say this, most of the time it's best to pay the higher price and deal with Moto. Although Moto doesn't offer any high-capacity Saber solutions, so I go with aftermarket NiMH on those ones
    I don't actually, but I'lll ask him. He's a member on the other board. I'd be interested to see if it came from an MSS or from greedbay.

Stay tuned...