Thread: Lightweight ARS Server - Test Software (FREEWARE Windows)

Thanks

Default Lightweight ARS Server - Test Software (FREEWARE Windows)

Hi guys,

Thanks for JtB and emsgeorge for your contributions ...

Another Chindogu test tool ...

You'll need to:-
    1. Have a PC connected to a MOTOTRBO Radio ..
    2. Have added the correct route to Window's Route Table (See below).
    3. Ensure your Radio is forwarding UDP packets to the PC (CPS configuration setup).
    4. Ensure your remote Radio(s) has ARS enabled and has the IP address of your local radio as the ARS IP address.
    5. Un-tick the "Run as ARS Server" box (just to get an idea what the radios do when there is no ARS server).
    6. Sit back and wait until an ARS request turns up ...

cheers
    Will B

Setup Window's Route Table
    Create a bat file and copy this line to it and the run it.
    (Mine is called SetPersistRoute.bat).
    Please Note: the 12.0.0.0 is real the CAI value with ".0.0.0" tacked on to make it a full IP address.
    Code:
    route -p ADD 12.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 192.168.10.1 METRIC 32
    Here is a screen shot with 9 x fake radios and 1 x real one.
    (I was testing the "boundary" conditions and that's why there is only 10 x radios in this test - much easier than trying it with the final number of Radios - a practical limit I'm hoping someone here will suggest ).

BRB - checking if this gets me banned again ...

dave9600 No Longer Registered

Default Bugs

This seems to work great until you get around 20 radios registered and then the server stops sending ACKs and displays "registration failed" in the output list box. Once the server is restarted the same radios that previously failed will successfully register and receive ACKs. Do you have a limit on the number of radios this server will support or is there possibly a bug in your code? I've got a ton of uses for this software if you can get it to work correctly. Thanks!

Something else I've noticed is that I am unable to change the refresh timer so that the SUs don't resend ARS every 30 minutes. I tried setting it to "0" (disabled) and "16" (8 hours) but the expiration always shows as 30 minutes from the last successful ARS. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave9600 View Post
    Something else I've noticed is that I am unable to change the refresh timer so that the SUs don't resend ARS every 30 minutes. I tried setting it to "0" (disabled) and "16" (8 hours) but the expiration always shows as 30 minutes from the last successful ARS. Am I doing something wrong?
    Hi Dave9600,

That is indeed "a required enhancement" (aka bug ) which I spotted yesterday while porting the ARS Server to TransTRBO.
    (I have already added that and the "ARS Grace Time Seconds" - to the Start-up Parameters - I will do an updated Release on Mon 26 Aug - Aussie AEST as I'm having a few days off ).

The current test server is limited to 10 x individual Radio Registrations (hard coded) as I wasn't sure what would be a reasonable quantity - so please feel free to suggest a "reasonable number of Radios" and I'll alter the Table size accordingly.

I wasn't sure if anyone was actually going to use it.

Thanks for testing it and taking the time to comment.

cheers
    Will B

What are your plans for this software? If you intend to keep it freeware I would suggest putting the limit around 50 radios. If you think there is a market for it then as a test server 10 radios is fair. I don't know if you'll see much interest in it as a standalone application without adding other features (e.g. forwarding presence to watchers). It's real value is in troubleshooting or as a temporary fix for a system that has lost its ARS server... which is something I've seen happen a few times recently.

RecumbentTriker No Longer Registered

Great job oldfart ( as an aside that is my handle on several other forums ). I currently have a 5 site IPSC system whose ARS server is down ( more to do with poor AVL software vendor support then anything else ) they have changed CAD providers and are awaiting new software. They can have as many as 50 subscribers online which is resulting in near 100% channel usage with no ARS server. Your software would be a real life saver in this situation.

Thanks

Hi guys,

An update is now available Vn 1.0.0.2

Table size increased to 50 x Radios.
    Refresh Code/ID and Grace Time sent to Server at start up.

Untested - please let me know if you spot any bugs.

cheers

RecumbentTriker No Longer Registered

Doing what needs be done--------------- for about 5 hours now.
    Last edited by Bigfella237; Aug 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Deleting the mess! Please attach images, do not paste!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RecumbentTriker View Post
    Doing what needs be done--------------- for about 5 hours now.
    Hi RecumbentTriker,

Thanks for doing the testing - and the feedback!! :thumbsup:

cheers

It's working perfectly now. Thanks for making the changes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave9600 View Post
    It's working perfectly now. Thanks for making the changes.
    My pleasure Dave9600 - you helped me out - and now vice versa.