Thread: EF Johnson 5100's too good to be true?

Thanks

Default EF Johnson 5100's too good to be true?

I have stumbled upon an individual who is selling vhf and 7/800 5100's loaded with p25,trunking,fpp and other goodies at a very cheap price.I have purchased 2 sample units and they are as described and work great.Can anyone tell me anything particular to look for that may not be kosher about these radios.The seller is overseas but they have U.S. markings on them ie property of such and such p.d. or emergency and the normal U.S./Canada tags on the back

Thanks

Many members of our local fire buff club have bought EFJs for use on our fire rehab unit. I think many agencies were told, "This is E.F.Johnson's version of the XTS 5000." Once they got them, they found that while they could use the same microphone & battery as a XTS; they needed different programming and the controls functioned different, thus they were dumped on the market. None of us have had problems with different models bought from different sources. My EFJ will transmit out of a lot of places that my XTS can't get a signal...
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

Thanks

Gotcha,they just seemed to cheap to be true after seeing some of the prices they are selling for on Ebay and etc.But after fiddling with the radios,software and seeing how easy it is to enable features such as P25,FPP and etc. I see how they are selling them so cheap

Thanks

They're lower quality than a Motorola. Great radios though because the price is a bit cheaper and they're not bad. The fact that the speaker is at the bottom is annoying. EFJ is a bit less of a pain to program than Motorola.

Thanks

Regardless of what the seller claims the 5100 or 51ES will never do any flavor of tdma. Buyer beware

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadcom View Post
    The fact that the speaker is at the bottom is annoying. EFJ is a bit less of a pain to program than Motorola.
    This. I was extremely satisfied with the simplicity of programming the EFJ over an XTS. While everything else may not be a 10 of 10 on an EFJ, the simplified programming made the purchase worth it, price point compared to a similarly flashed XTS was nice.

JohnK No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by fullpwr5675 View Post
    I have stumbled upon an individual who is selling vhf and 7/800 5100's loaded with p25,trunking,fpp and other goodies at a very cheap price.
    Would you care to share your source? I'm looking for a cheap VHF 5100.

JK

Thanks

I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

Thanks

Though that's not what I would consider a "good price."

Thanks