Thread: XTL5000 lcd contrast fix

Jonsky No Longer Registered

Default XTL5000 lcd contrast fix

Please proceed with caution, I will not be responsible to any damages that this mod or fix will do to your expensive radio. Since I dont see any quick and cheap fix for dark LCD problems on xtl5000 and xtl2500 radios. I managed to find the location where to adjust the contrast of the display module. I attached a couple of pictures of the work I did. There are 2 ways to do this, add a 10K resistor and 180 ohm resistor, or add a fixed 2.2K resistor. Detailed picture are shown of the parts and points location. You can experiment with the values of the resistors to get the desired contrast. I personally tested this on my GRAY head XTL5000 and managed to lower the contrast at desirable level. Again like I said earlier, Im not responsible if this mod will damage your radio. If you find this useful let me know and if not send me a message.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonsky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi; I would like to see a photo of the dsplay after the mod. I have been watching this post and was hoping that someone else would have done this and commented on it. Thanks for finding a fix! Bill

Thanks

I recommend the variable 10K resistor mod this lets yopu finetune the display.

Thanks

Thanks guys great post.