Thread: Astro Saber Tx inhibit when battery is low

Thanks

Default Astro Saber Tx inhibit when battery is low

Hi there,

I have three Astro Saber radios (512k - UHF) with older Host (R05.06.04) and DSP (06.xx.xx) firmware. They are working fine when the batteries are fully charged. But when the battery level drops below cca. 40%, the radios won't let me to transmit (no analog, no digital). They give a beep sound (similar to when the Tx inhibit function is enabled. But it is not). When I pull the batteries from the radio and put them onto another Astro Saber (Host apR75.xx.xx and DSP 05.xx.xx, 512k) they are working fine. The other radio (with older firmware) won't give any beeps.

This is very annoying, I always have to keep my batteries in the charger when I want to use my UHF radios to avoid the beep sounds.

I have browsed among several forums, but I haven't find any answer.

Do you have any ide what can cause this?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,774 Times in 2,404 Posts

Buy new batteries. This is normal. The radio isn't meant to transmit when there's a low voltage situation; there would be drifting, deviation issues and the audio would be distorted.

That ancient **** VSELP firmware is probably so old it doesn't support such a simplistic protection feature.

No offense, but this is something that ONLY A HAM would complain about. Major

Thanks

Major facepalm or not....my other radios with newest host and DSP versions are working fine. Now what?

ps: I have already ordered some new batteries.

Thanks

One of the old radios had a low battery calibration that could be done,I don't recall which. Our it could bee a problem with the hardware. Maybe check all your b+ connections in the radio.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks
    Thanked 8,774 Times in 2,404 Posts

It was XTS3000. No low battery threshold calibration for the ASTRO Saber.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Buy new batteries. This is normal. The radio isn't meant to transmit when there's a low voltage situation; there would be drifting, deviation issues and the audio would be distorted.

That ancient **** VSELP firmware is probably so old it doesn't support such a simplistic protection feature.

No offense, but this is something that ONLY A HAM would complain about. Major
    ASTROMODAT? Is that you bitching about ham radio operators?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

The battery threshold is internal to the codeplug and no one has taken the time to isolate it yet, but swapping codeplugs should fix the problem if someone used "special" tools to screw with that particular radio's codeplug that alerts too early. Try getting a shiny, new codeplug and slap it into the radio and see if it doesn't fix it. If not, the battery sensing circuitry may be defective in hardware and causing early alerts. Write down your tuning values, then copy them into the new codeplug or you will have to re-tune the radio completely. Take the easiest path first, try software then if that doesn't help try swapping hardware boards, RF then VOCON.

Eventually you WILL find it. That's how we troubleshoot - divide and conquer. Divide the problem into halves, and figure out which half it's in. Rinse and repeat until fixed!

Thanks

It is definenetly not a hardware component issue, I have tested that part. This kind of battery beep error is affecting all 3 of my Astro Sabers. I will try to experiment with new codeplugs or s-records to get to the root cause of the problem.

The problem is that I don't have "spare" codeplugs and s-records for these radios. The model is a H04UCH9PW5AN, Astro Saber I, 512k, 800 MHz IMBE.

Thanks

Funny, my MTS2000's have the opposite situation. Those with old fw will tx, but then the radio will turn off, & on again because the radio tried to draw more juice than the battery could supply. However, those with recent fw will just not let the radio tx when the battery is weak. All Impres batteries in good shape. GARY