Thread: XTL2500 KEY & KEYSET: Can't get it working

Thanks

bang XTL2500 KEY & KEYSET: Can't get it working

Hi all!

I do have XTL2500 R16, FC=548008-001684-1. UCM board installed (NTN5032F, R05.05.02, just 1 algo). Secure Configuration is set Hardware. I've enabled KEY and KSET menu items for Conventional. Also set Keyset to User Selectable. But here is a few promblems:

1. I can't switch KEYSET from KSET menu (conventional mode). Menu appear as KS1 | SEL | KS2, but I can't select KS2 (it's not selectable).
    2. KSET menu items does not appear to be available for Trunking mode (it's just not listed in CPS).

But I need to switch keys/kesets in both Conventional and Trunking modes.

Tried both CRK and CRK+PID modes.
    Addes 8 multikeys and enables Indexed for all.
    Tried to load keys in ASN and Astro25 modes.

But same hell!

Spent 1 hour for reading CPS help, but have no ideas.

Please help!

Thanks

Hi all!

Any ideas on this?

And how to get KEYSETs working at all? I do not have KMS or/and OTAR. Just KVL3000+.

I need to create KEY GROUPS (GROUPS in KVL menu)? It's the same as KSET?

Thanks

Ok. As I got from CPS help, KEYSET will only work for PID Key management or OTAR. I don't have OTAR and cannot use PID, because Astro25 mode require key management by CKR.

Thanks

In any case I do not understant Motorola concept. What if user need to change encryption key manually when in trunking mode? Or the idea that it has to do only the system administrator (centralized management)?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

Key Indexing is usually used with OTAR, but can be used with keyloading via KVL as well.

When you use indexing, you assign every other key to set 1 and the remainder to set 2. You and everyone else uses set 1 while all the radios in the fleet get new set 2's keyed via OTAR or KVL. Once everyone has the new set 2, then the infrastructure switches over to set 2, then begins converting all the radios by rekeying their set 1's. Once that is done, everyone switches to the new set 1 keys, then begins rekey of set 2, etc., etc.

You may also have to turn on "Keyset User Selectable" or something like that, otherwise you have to strap the talkgroups to a particular KEY if not indexed, or KSET if keys are indexed.

Also, I believe if you turn off ASTRO OTAR, you can select PID Key management mode for Astro25, and I think indexing works for both PID and CKR. I am not 100% sure of that, though.
    Last edited by Alpha; Aug 14, 2014 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Key Indexing is usually used with OTAR, but can be used with keyloading via KVL as well.

When you use indexing, you assign every other key to set 1 and the remainder to set 2. You and everyone else uses set 1 while all the radios in the fleet get new set 2's keyed via OTAR or KVL. Once everyone has the new set 2, then the infrastructure switches over to set 2, then begins converting all the radios by rekeying their set 1's. Once that is done, everyone switches to the new set 1 keys, then begins rekey of set 2, etc., etc.

You may also have to turn on "Keyset User Selectable" or something like that, otherwise you have to strap the talkgroups to a particular KEY if not indexed, or KSET if keys are indexed.

Also, I believe if you turn off ASTRO OTAR, you can select PID Key management mode for Astro25, and I think indexing works for both PID and CKR. I am not 100% sure of that, though.
    Thanks for your input, Alpha!

As I know, Astro25 mode is not compatible with key management by PIDs. But I need Astro25 mode, because radios have to work in both P25 conventional and P25 9600 trunking. It's a reason why I use CKRs management + Astro25 keyload mode. But in this config key indexing is not available (grayed out). It's a reason why I don't have sets as I understood.

I will play with PID key management again to refresh my mind. Maybe I missed something.