Thread: XTL5000 factory reset

MotoMike No Longer Registered

Default XTL5000 factory reset

Hello, I purchased what was described as a CB radio at a police auction today. After bringing it home, it turned out to be a Motorola XLT5000 with an O5 head on it. To be honest, I really have no use for this radio, as I was looking for a general CB radio.. This unit is so overkill for anything I would ever use it for, plus I doubt I would ever figure out how to program it. I powered it on, and went through the channels. Everything worked, and looked as though the previous configuration was still programmed into it. What I would like to do is find out if there is someone who could factory default this so I could sell it as a used radio and buy myself a regular CB radio. I am in ontario, canada.. let me know if that's possible. I would pay for a firmware upgrade as well to bring it to the latest and greatest. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 2,357 Posts

Moved to appropriate sub-forum.

What band is this radio? What firmware is in it? You should be able to see that if you're able to power up and go through the channels.

Thanks

What you have is worth a lot more than a CB radio. When you are ready to sell the unit be sure you get a fair price for the radio.

As a FYI the materials you would need to "clean" up the radio would cost $100s. I recommend you find someone you trust and who will not rip you off to sell the radio to. I also suggest that this person know what the radio really is and what it can be used for.

Thanks

If you're looking to sell it, drop me a line - I'm also in Ontario.

Thanks for all the help and direction guys. I appreciate it. I have something new happen to this radio. The other day I was again playing around with it, try to find out internal information like firmware code, etc.. when it suddenly powered off. I powered it up again, and saw 3 lights on the right hand side light up. at the same time the screen was displaying vertical lines like it did just before the text showed up. so after the screen and the lights, the unit powers itself off again. It seems to go off, than on again repeatedly until i kill the power. any thoughts on this?? like I said, it's been solid since i bought it up until now..

Thanks

Could be anything. If your looking at selling it, I'd be interested as my XTL5000 just bit the big one and could use a donor radio to repair mine...

Thanks

you may also want to check the power wires the ign (small red wire on the back connector) may have come undone.

rudeman No Longer Registered

Possibly "inhibited"????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rudeman View Post
    Possibly "inhibited"????
    That is not even a remote possibility.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,003 Posts

This is probably a FW17 radio with the same issues they all have, hence the unpredictable power ups. What are the three letters in the serial number?
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Motorola.jpg I snapped a picture of the unit. Hopefully you guys can see it. So I took it to a Motorola authorized dealer and they said they'll have to send it to Motorola to get fixed. Before I tell you guys how much they quoted me, how much do you think a reasonable flat rate fix for this unit might be? To recap, the unit does not turn on.. it goes as far as the vertical lines on the screen, and 3 lights on the right of the screen, then powers off.. never actually powers up any more unfortunately.. it's got an o5 head on it.

Oh, and I checked the wires.. I snipped the cig. attachment and ran it through another inline fuse to the battery. Still no go..

Thanks

Depot repair is going to be every bit of $500 if not more. That's just Motorola's part, not including the dealers time and shipping costs.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

You nailed it Magnus.. $595 is what they were asking.. I thought it was quite steep, but I suppose not after seeing your comment. With everything intact and working, what would you say a radio like this would go for used? and is there anyway to tell when it was made? I'm willing to spend the money to fix it up if I can make it back plus a bit more to buy a decent CB radio which is what I originally want.. Not sure if I should sell it as it is or what? Any ideas from anyone? i guess it depends on how much the unit is worth used, would depend on if it's worth fixing or sell the head and body as is not working. Has anyone seen similar problems like the one i'm experiencing? I can't be the only one!?.. i can do a quick video if someone wants to see what it's doing.. sometimes it's hard to describe.. lots of questions! ahh! thanks

Thanks

Sell it to someone here on the board that wants it, they know what they are getting into with possible problems. Pretty good bunch of guys on here. Not sure what kind of CB your are looking for , but should be able to by yourself a spare CB. I would post the thing for sale on here, and be done with it. And go get ya a CB!!!

If you sell it on ebay in the current condition , you are probably gonna get screwed by a claim by the buyer for non working. Been there done that, never again. And I explained the every stinking detail in the listing NOT WORKING, did'nt matter to ebay.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.