Thread: Repair Suggestions?

JohnK No Longer Registered

Default Repair Suggestions?

EFJ newby here...

My recently-purchased used 51SL apparently needs some repair work. From time to time when I switch it on, the self-test indicates that the DSP has failed and, as you might expect, the radio will not TX or RX. If I turn the radio off and slap the case once or twice, it will usually work when I turn it back on. (a poorly-seated cable, perhaps??)

It seems as if I don't have an EFJ repair facility anywhere near me. As a private individual, can I send this radio directly to the EFJ depot for repair? And if so, does anyone know what it might cost?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thanks

First try taking it apart and reseating the connectors internal to the radio. That may very well correct the issue. If not we can go from there.

Thanks

EFJ will repair it from private parties with a credit card. There is a $350 flat fee (or thereabouts). They will contact you with what they find and ask you if you want it repaired before doing the repairs.
    I would go with what XPR says, most likely it is the flex between the Rf and the logic.

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    First try taking it apart and reseating the connectors internal to the radio. That may very well correct the issue. If not we can go from there.
    Thanks for that suggestion (you too, IS).

I can pretty much see how the radio comes apart... it looks to me that once all of the top controls and antenna are released, the bottom can just be pried up and the entire assembly can be taken out of the case. What concerns me is that I don't have the correct tools (spanners) and I don't want to damage the radio trying to get it opened up.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

It's much easier than that, you don't have to take off the knobs as they are part of the case/top assy. You only have to remove the antenna. Just use a flat-blade screwdriver to insert at the bottom and pry out the metal insert carefully. We have the service manuals up here that describe exactly that procedure IIRC, do some searching...

Thanks

Yes. Remove the antenna. I've broken a few chassis from forgetting not to (facepalm)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It's much easier than that, you don't have to take off the knobs as they are part of the case/top assy. You only have to remove the antenna. Just use a flat-blade screwdriver to insert at the bottom and pry out the metal insert carefully. We have the service manuals up here that describe exactly that procedure IIRC, do some searching...
    With help from the group here (and a quick read of the SM), I disassembled the radio, unlocked the flex connectors, sprayed some electronic cleaner, and buttoned everything back up. Thus far, everything seems to be working well except for two of the number keys (5 and 6). Since I don't want to push my luck, I think I'll leave that issue alone for now.

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

Glad you got it, it sounded like a simple bad or dirty connection.

Loved your work on Ren and Stimpy, BTW...