Thread: Analog Spectra - Astro Spectra Head Cable Interchange? + W3 HHCH swap

Thanks

Default Analog Spectra - Astro Spectra Head Cable Interchange? + W3 HHCH swap

Thank you in advance. I've searched around and couldn't find a definitive answer to these.....

These are two entirely separate questions pertaining to different radio setups (both setups are mid power Astro Spectras):

1) Can you use the control head CABLE and interconnect BOARD/faceplate from an analog Spectra with an Astro Spectra? This is a remote head analog Spectra w/ an A4 head and a dashmount Astro Spectra w/ W4 head. I know the Control Head from the Astro Spectra must be used, but is it just a straight parts swap? Any codeplug changes to worry about?

2) What do you need to convert a W4 dashmount Astro Spectra to a W3 HHCH Astro Spectra? I know the HHCH interconnect board and HHCH mic are needed. I imagine you need an S-rec from a W3 of the same flavor as well. Anything else?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

1 - Yes. Yes. No.
    2 - W3 uses a whole different remote face on the front of the radio, the W3 version has a few extra comps to deal with soft-power-on/off, that is the "HHCH interconnect board" you refer to, I assume. I don't have the P/N handy but I think it's posted somewhere here in another thread. The cable is different, too, it ends in DB-25 at the radio end plus a DB-15 break-out for the speaker/ign. lines.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply Alpha.

Awesome that the first setup should work.

As for the W3 HHCH, I've seen pictures of the special remote cable that has the breakout to the DB-15 which you refer to. Understood on the special interconnect board (HLN6459) for W3 use. I assume it's possible to omit the remote cable w/DB-15 breakout and connect the HHCH directly to main unit interconnect board?....for instance mounting the main unit under the front seat.
    Last edited by mizzotch; Sep 10, 2013 at 04:36 AM.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

If it's a low (medium) power drawer, yes. Otherwise there is no DB-15 for the ign./speaker connection.

I haven't used them extensively that way, but I do believe I have plugged them in and they did seem to work.

Thanks

Some update to the topic:

A radio with W3 head be powered up without the so-called "Y" cable. You have to take a look at the Detailed Service Manual and place JU2 to JU3 position on the front panel interconnect board. With this mod, you'll be able to power up the radio with the W3 HHCH directly connected to the radio.

Works for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HA5BRG For This Useful Post:

Mars (Feb 23, 2018)

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Good, tip! The ones I tried this on must have had the jumper installed, as it worked for me. Good pointer, though!

Thanks

Excellent tip on the jumper! I'd probably be scratching my head otherwise.