Thread: Mts2000 800mhz worth?

av8or91 No Longer Registered

Default Mts2000 800mhz worth?

So I notice a lot of these radios going so cheap on eBay and was curious as to why? Is it because there is no demand for an older 800mhz radio? What would be a good price for radio,antenna, battery,rapid charger, and Jedi mic? Trying to get a good idea on used market for a couple different models. Thanks !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,861 Times in 540 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by av8or91 View Post
    So I notice a lot of these radios going so cheap on eBay and was curious as to why? Is it because there is no demand for an older 800mhz radio? What would be a good price for radio,antenna, battery,rapid charger, and Jedi mic? Trying to get a good idea on used market for a couple different models. Thanks !
    They are all over Ebay because Motorola ended support for Smartnet trunking and many of the systems those MTS2000's were used on are no longer on the air and have gone P25 phase 1 or phase 2.

The going rate for a decent shape model II/III with rebanded firmware and a Smartnet/Smartzone flash with good accessories seems to be around $100, depending on the condition but really getting that price means finding the right buyer, the market is flooded with these right now. The parts are sometimes worth more, especially working front cover display boards, which are NLA from Motorola and can be used on other band versions of the MTS/Jedi radios.

I've bought them as cheap as $10 to scavenge parts like those display boards, controllers, etc.

Thanks

I recently bought a model 2 on Batlabs from a trusted seller for about $50. Radio, battery, & antenna. It wasn't rebanded, but works perfectly. When supply is higher than demand, that's what happens. GARY

Thanks

I just picked up 6 MCS2000s for $88 shipped, M3s complete minus power cord and speaker. They make great rx radios for following trunked systems with computer. Disc audio is available on the options connector.

Not too long ago, I remember them being $250+ ea, times change...

In another few years, they truly will be paperweights (the 800 mhz models, unless an easy mod for 900 meg amateur is found)

PSYKO_Inc No Longer Registered

In the US they also rebanded the 800MHz a few years back, and while I'm pretty sure the MTS2ks supported rebanding, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of companies were talked into new radios at the same time they upgraded their systems. Then the old radios sit in a box in a back room somewhere for a couple years, and when they finally decide to clean house, the old ones get sold off for pennies on the dollar. I've sort of been tempted to pick one up on the cheap just to experiment with as a control channel receiver. If I found a clean looking model 3, I might use it's front housing to clean up my beat up UHF MTS2k.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,797 Times in 2,413 Posts

MTS2000s support rebanding. Firmware must be R08.70 or newer. (Final is R08.73). I still use mine to monitor analog comms on a 3600 system. Audio is great and they're very sensitive! They were considered the deluxe APCO-16 analog portable radio back in the day. They support(ed) Omnilink, whereas the LTS and GTX series radios did not.

They're also useful for use as an RF Modem radio, in conjunction with certain Motorola tools.

Thanks

Now that rebanding is done here, all the systems here are gearing up to convert to p25. Delaware County & City of Dublin did acouple of years ago & merged systems. Ohio MARCS is in the process. Franklin County should start simulcasting next spring, and City of Columbus should within 2 years. Too bad, MTS & MCS 2000 are great radios..
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

MrNeedy No Longer Registered

Anyone who wants one.. I will sell with no battery or charger for 45 dollars plus actual shipping.. I have b3, top display and b7