Thread: Motorola R1801 Analyser Controller Suitcase Programmer

skyhook No Longer Registered

Default Motorola R1801 Analyser Controller Suitcase Programmer

Hello everyone,

I am new here and I need some help. I have Motorola Envoy pager which seems to be POCSAG pager(found picture of service manual which says POCSAG pager). Now i need to program it somehow or read from it. It has Motorola permacode code plug where I think is main code plug with freq and ID. I am not sure, just presume. If there is any way to read pager, or program it, please help.

Thanks

There is a thread on the suitcase programmer with prom images and other information.

skyhook No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    There is a thread on the suitcase programmer with prom images and other information.
    So there is no way to program/read code plug with regular PC?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

No. The 1801 is required, or an Epson HX-20 PC (pre-IBM-PC type computer) that they also sold as a PROM programmer. Even if you had an ancient PC serial port programmer, you would need one that does the pager "codeplug" which is a fuse-type PROM in a SIP style package, so it would need a specially-made socket (they are non-standard pinouts) and it someone would need to write PC software that knew about the internal layout of the PROM memory module.

A ham wrote something like that for MCX100/Syntor PROM's and another for Syntor-X PROM's that use a conventional programmer on a PC, but those parts are standard DIP packages, so a regular EPROM burner will work for programming them. Those are the only 1801-programmable parts that I know of that have an alternate method for programming, otherwise you're stuck and will need to find an 1801 WITH the proper adapters AND the proper program software in it.