Thread: 5100ES "Bad FL Format"

troydaniels No Longer Registered

Default 5100ES "Bad FL Format"

Iím new to EFJ radios and I used PC Configure 2.10.2 to write the parameters file to a 5100ES radio with firmware version 6.16.10. After the fact, I discovered that I should have used PCC 2.14.X or 2.16.X which I donít have. Now when I turn the radio on it says ďBad Fl Format.Ē PCC 2.10.2 and PCTune still communicate great with the radio but it gives the bad file format error when it is turned on and flashes the LED.

Is there a way to do a factory reset on the radio to remove the parameter file from it so I will no longer get the error or will I need to purchase PCC 2.14.X or 2.16.X and read the parameters file from the radio and then write it back. Also, is it possible to roll the firmware back to a version that works with PCC 2.10.2? Itís sort of frustrating so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks

You will need to write a good codeplug with the newer pcconfig. If you need help let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRadioTech View Post
    You will need to write a good codeplug with the newer pcconfig. If you need help let me know.
    I may take you up on the offer of help at some point. For now, I'm going to take more time to read about the radio and to try and learn about its features. I had planned on using it basically as a scanner to monitor a P25 Phase II system although I'm not even sure if the radio can do that. I used PCTune and set the TX power to zero for the entire frequency range so I think the radio can't transmit now which is good because I definitely don't want to transmit on government or public frequencies while experimenting with the radio. I think I 'm going to read more forum posts at this website to get a better understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks.

Thanks

Its not going to monitor a phase 2 system and zeroing out the tx power adjustments in pctune is not going prevent it from transmitting. As you said you need to do more reading and less tuning.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

The clown on eBay ( ef_johnson) selling these ES radios claiming they will do TDMA is outright fraud. Just a heads up.

Problem solved. I was able to read the parameters file with a newer version of PCC and then write the file back to the radio which solved the "Bad Fl Format" error. I have a PSR-800 so receiving TDMA with the 5100ES is not all that important. Considering that PSR-800 scanners now cost about $600 it would have been nice to have a less expensive option. Thanks for the heads up and advice.

Thanks

FYI, PCC 2.18.14 is the latest version for the ES radios.