Thread: XTL FlashZap problem

Thanks

Default XTL FlashZap problem

Hi guys, have an issue here. Just picked up an XTL 5000 from a friend, noticed it has R12 in it. Figured an upgrade to R19 would be good. I was planning to use the "Dirty" method. Well, apparently it won't let me. Power on the radio, drops into FlashZap, then powers off after 10 seconds roughly. No other issues with the radio, just this. What should/can I do from here? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

Dash mount, remote mount, head type?

Ignition sense programmed how, exactly?

Have you defaulted the programming to make sure there is nothing residing in the codeplug causing issues?

What kind of cable for programming are you using?
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

freerider-aust No Longer Registered

you will find it is something to do with the usb driver it needs to be a older version that why it does not work somehow you need to roll it back

Thanks

Remote mounted, O5 head, and I did try with ignition sense enabled & disabled alike. (IGN line powered in either case) No effect, the problem remains. It occurs whether the radio is connected to the PC or not. FWIW, I am using a USB cable for programming (Genuine Motorola) with no issues in normal programming tasks.

Thanks

Consider your attempting a major revision jump in firmware I would stay away from the dirty method all together. Do it the right way and don't damage your radio. Jason

Thanks

Certainly a valid point, although it's a cinch on the XTS portables. The mechanism is the same. But I may have to do the "good boy" method since this isn't cooperating. Probably a small detail I'm missing, oh well.

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded, I believe I figured out the problem. Regardless, it was corrected.

Thanks

I recently was trying to do a legitimate upgrade from R12 to R19 and was having similar issues (I was using a USB connection to the rear of the brick). I bought a CGAI cable to connect to the remote head and the upgrade went perfectly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

The most recent firmware upgrades are expecting to see a USB GCAI cable at the control head connector. Don't ask me what they have changed, but I seem to have noticed that after the fiasco with R17 that resulted in the radio/control head parts change (or supplier change-who knows) the fixes for that, and subsequent updates only seem to work reliably with problem radios if you use the USB GCAI cable.

I have every possible combination of programming/flash cable, and have tried them ALL at some point on problem radios. Sometimes, I have to admit defeat, although usually I can get almost any recalcitrant XTL to talk to me if I get the right combination of parts together. One thing to remember, is put the radio on a bench supply where you can observer current. You can see that the radio 'comes alive' when you apply power to the rear power connector. If you don't see that, until you can get the radio to do that, nothing else will help.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

10. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

Scratchy (Mar 23, 2015)

Thanks

Getting my particular radio happy again was facilitated by the "good boy" upgrade process. That is, firmware refresh with the iButton dongle & the whole magilla. What ever I'd upset by initially trying FlashZap was fixed. The radio now drops into & stays in FlashZap when requested. My guess is the CPS talked to the radio when I powered it on into FlashZap while connected to the computer & gave me the earlier problem.

I was also advised by a friend that upgrading via FlashZap alone is inadvisable with XTLs because of differences in Control Head firmware vs. Radio firmware. If they're too far out of sync, no likey. But upgrading with the dongle syncs head & tray firmwares. What I'm curious of is, what given range of drawer firmware revs is compatible with a given range of control head firmware revs?