Thread: EFJ 51ES TDMA Support

Thanks

Default EFJ 51ES TDMA Support

I have been trying to determine if the 51ES supports TDMA. There seems to be a decent amount of sale literature out there from EFJ touting the 51ES as TDMA 'upgradable'. On the other hand there are a couple statements on the board that this is not the case. And then theres the eBay guy..

I did some poking around the latest PCC available to me (2.14.10) and I see no mention in the software.

If it is in fact supported what is the minium firmware required? Or did EFJ adandon this part of the roadmap for the 51ES in favor of the new generaton of VP radios?
    Last edited by Integrator; Sep 18, 2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

The 51es will never do tdma. There is an upgrade path for the 53es to do phase 2 but its hardware based as well as flash. The vp series will be able to do phase 2 with a software upgrade in the very near future.

Thanks

Furthermore only a Motorola radio will do x2 as it is proprietary. The clown on eBay seems to think the 51 will do both x2 and phase 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    The 51es will never do tdma. There is an upgrade path for the 53es to do phase 2 but its hardware based as well as flash. The vp series will be able to do phase 2 with a software upgrade in the very near future.
    Thanks for the info. Specifics were difficult to find and clearly lots of misinformation out there. (But never here!)

troydaniels No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Integrator View Post
    Thanks for the info. Specifics were difficult to find and clearly lots of misinformation out there. (But never here!)
    If the 51ES is the same as the 5100ES and ASCEND ES then it will do P25 Phase 2 TDMA. I know for a fact that the ASCEND ES and 5100 ES both do TDMA because I have seen and heard both radios do it. A GRE PSR-800 costs $600 and the EFJ radios cost about $300 so people should consider an EFJ as an option for monitoring TDMA.

Thanks

For the last time the 51 be it an X or ES will NOT do any flavor of TDMA. In fact the firmware for TDMA for the VP series is in beta and not even released. That said until the firmware is released later this year, ZERO EFJ radios are capable of doing Phase II TDMA, only Phase 1 FDMA. There are several EFJ software engineers on this forum and have confirmed the ONLY EFJ radios that will do Phase II are the Viking series (firmware and option file) and the 53ES mobile (hardware and software).

There is ZERO TDMA support in the 51 nor will there ever be. This is a confirmed fact. Call EFJ and ask them, they will tell you the same thing. The eBay clown is completely misrepresenting those radios, down to claiming they have the latest firmware. Fact is they are hacked to crap, and the firmware is FAR from current.

Please quit posting misinformation.
    Last edited by XPR8300; Sep 23, 2013 at 03:57 AM.