Thread: Signing up for MOL account

Thanks

Default Signing up for MOL account

What are some things I should be aware of?

I singed up today to create a account, waiting to hear back from Mother M.

When your account is set up, how long does it usually take before you can start purchasing software?

And what is the current cost for a 3 year trbo cps subscription?

Just got my hands on a xpr4550 and would like to keep it updated with current cps and firmware.

Thanks

It took a /LONG/ time to get my MOL account. They had me call them to clarify some details - I think they want to shy away from end users from signing up. I had used my personal email as opposed to the agency's email. That was the reason mine took so long.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
    It took a /LONG/ time to get my MOL account. They had me call them to clarify some details - I think they want to shy away from end users from signing up. I had used my personal email as opposed to the agency's email. That was the reason mine took so long.
    That really sucks.... when I talked to them I'll explain that our is planing on buying a xpr8400 in the future and would like to be able to program it and update it when necessary with out having to go to a dealer.

I want to do things the right way, but if they want to make things difficult then that's not fair, but we shall see though.

Thanks

When I signed up for mine it was really quick. I even put 'for personal use' in the business section. The part that took a little bit was the software licensing. Even then it was a matter of calling up and opening a ticket. The whole process from start to finish took a week and a half I would say. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,774 Times in 2,404 Posts

The Canadian/American signup process is not the same.

Motorola Canada handles all MOL applications, and they WILL DENY EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM unless the person is a Motorola dealer or government/other entity which deals in large $ sales.

I signed up for my own MOL account so I could purchase TRBO software, as I could not order it through my local dealer as:

a) Software license is non-transferable;

b) My dealer refused to sell me anything, period.

After signing up three separate times, and having my account denied without reason, three separate times, I made a formal complaint to Motorola Solutions USA. I complained about the attitude problem of the "account manager" and her unwillingness to approve my account, despite the fact I had a legitimate need for an account (software). I also wanted to know what the problem was. Within a day or two, I received a call from her and my account was approved. She was NOT happy with my actions/complaint. Too bad! Maybe stop acting like a bitch! No reason for attitude when a customer has $ and wants to give it to the company you work for, to fund your pension and overpaid salary.

No problems since then. It was about a year ago. Also of note: Dealing with "CCS Canada" (Canadian MOL orders, via phone) has been very pleasant. They have their stuff together.

Thanks

Almost seems like they are giving people no other option but to use pirated software who would otherwise pay for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    The Canadian/American signup process is not the same.

Motorola Canada handles all MOL applications, and they WILL DENY EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM unless the person is a Motorola dealer or government/other entity which deals in large $ sales.

I signed up for my own MOL account so I could purchase TRBO software, as I could not order it through my local dealer as:

a) Software license is non-transferable;

b) My dealer refused to sell me anything, period.

After signing up three separate times, and having my account denied without reason, three separate times, I made a formal complaint to Motorola Solutions USA. I complained about the attitude problem of the "account manager" and her unwillingness to approve my account, despite the fact I had a legitimate need for an account (software). I also wanted to know what the problem was. Within a day or two, I received a call from her and my account was approved. She was NOT happy with my actions/complaint. Too bad! Maybe stop acting like a bitch! No reason for attitude when a customer has $ and wants to give it to the company you work for, to fund your pension and overpaid salary.

No problems since then. It was about a year ago. Also of note: Dealing with "CCS Canada" (Canadian MOL orders, via phone) has been very pleasant. They have their stuff together.
    Well that is good to hear that Motorola USA is helpful. Like I said I want to due things the right way and be able to keep my radios up to date. I have a radio with 01.06.10 that I'm going to need to update when I can get the chance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gjhamilton View Post
    Almost seems like they are giving people no other option but to use pirated software who would otherwise pay for it.
    That is exactly what has happened. It also creates a lot of headaches here for us as we wish to support the manufacturers and be sure that they do not loose revenues. I have had no issues with EFJ infact they have been very open and available to help on several issues. Motorola could maybe use this as a guideline and ease up on the restictive nature required to get an MOL. Many of the membership here are amateur operators and it may be possible that Moto could concider this factor in opening a MOL. I do know that if someone could easilly pay for the software (most people are honest) and keep their equipment uptodate there would be very little motivation to "repost" software. The current argument that the radios will be bought second hand and then sold back to primary services is very weak at best. Even if a service was interested in doing something so silly they would be buying one or two items and not the 10+ units probably needed. As a service center I know we are not even interested in hearing about a "used" radio being placed on the system and would activly disuade any one from trying.

Thanks

Mother M emailed me today they want me to call them or email them back to answer a questionnaire they sent me. I'm going to call them in a little bit and see what happens,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 693 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kc2obw View Post
    Mother M emailed me today they want me to call them or email them back to answer a questionnaire they sent me. I'm going to call them in a little bit and see what happens,
    That shouldn't be a problem. I went through the same questionnaire process 8 years ago. It was the last step for opening an account.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    That shouldn't be a problem. I went through the same questionnaire process 8 years ago. It was the last step for opening an account.
    Strange I received a email from Motorola this morning I go to call them and they are closed go figure. I just emailed them back with the answers to their questions now lets hope they do me right.

We are looking into replacing one of our UHF repeaters with a trbo box, and it would be nice if we could update it our self's when we want with out having to bother someone else. And I just got my hands on a XPR4550 and I would like to keep that up to date as well. I explained that in the email as well so hopefully my reason is good enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 693 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kc2obw View Post
    Strange I received a email from Motorola this morning I go to call them and they are closed go figure. I just emailed them back with the answers to their questions now lets hope they do me right.
    Don't let the timing of the e-mail throw you off, it's an automated process. Call them back tomorrow and let them know that you replied to the questionnaire. You should be able to get your account activated while you are on the phone.
    Last edited by Number 6; Sep 22, 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks

The stars and planets must have aligned for me. I've created two MOL accounts within the past year (one for my work and one personal) and both times everything went through without a hitch.

Both times I got the questionnaire via the E-Mails I provided, and both times I was up and running in under 48 hours.

Amusingly enough, the accounts were definitely provisioned in different ways. The one has access to more software than the other, and it's just silly stuff like : With the one account I have access to the old Minitor IV PPS... and the other doesn't.

Gotta love the inconsistencies in all of this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p47r4ck View Post
    The stars and planets must have aligned for me. I've created two MOL accounts within the past year (one for my work and one personal) and both times everything went through without a hitch.

Both times I got the questionnaire via the E-Mails I provided, and both times I was up and running in under 48 hours.

Amusingly enough, the accounts were definitely provisioned in different ways. The one has access to more software than the other, and it's just silly stuff like : With the one account I have access to the old Minitor IV PPS... and the other doesn't.

Gotta love the inconsistencies in all of this
    Well I'm all set up. Just waiting for access to purchase software.

Thanks

You might have to call them again to add software to your account. I know I had to.

Mike No Longer Registered

I'm in Canada and am dealing with Canadian Motorola dealer and a Canadian Channel Account Manager and have to say that while a little cumbersome the process was straightforward and everyone involved in the sales and support functions at the dealer and Motorola level have been excellent to work with.

I'm not an old hand at buying from Motorola - in fact I just set up my account earlier this month... but I am used to working with large systems vendors as I used to work for one. There's a different approach and mind-set which one has to adopt as these are not regular "retail" channels.

The dealer I work with is MDT Technical in Delta, BC, just outside of Vancouver. I placed an order with them and advised that I would need CPS; they know what my intentions are with the gear. They alerted their Motorola Channel Account Manager (who works for Motorola Canada) and she advised that she would approved my MOL account request as soon as she saw it.

The rest of the process is straightforward but might need a little of the applicant's intervention here and there to ensure it doesn't get caught on a bump somewhere.

1) Apply on-line for MOL

2) Wait a couple days for MOL to send you a questionnaire. I filled mine out on-line.

3) If you don't hear back within the next 48 hours, call MOL customer support and have them check the status of your application. I did and discovered it had not yet been sent to the Channel Account Manager. The customer service rep assured me this would happen immediately and within an hour or so I had a MOL account number but at that point you still can't login and order software as accounts are setup for credit review even if paying by credit card. I asked the CSR to note on my record that I did not requrie credit terms and would be paying by credit card.

4) Eventually you get a welcome message and can place orders ... and that's an exercise in patience too. MOL is undoubtedly geared to repeat, volume, buyers of Motorola gear and these sorts of buyers tend to get to know the product catalogue intimateliy. Finding CPS via a search is difficult because CPS is a too short a search term! LOL. Call MOL support and ask them for the part number and/or issue a catalogue download file which you can then search using whatever text tools you are familiar with.

5) Order. Pay. You'll see your order move through different steps. It won't happen instantly... expect overnight.

6) Once ordered if you want to download the product rather than receive a DVD (I ended up getting both whether I wanted the DVD or not) you need to call MOL support and ask them to see to it that CPS shows up in your "Resource Centre" as a link for download. Likewise if you need a wide-band Entitlement ID. Etc.

Yes, the process is overly complex and cumbersome for an individual to navigate, but it can be done and is best done if you appreciate that Motorola like many big systems vendors is not geared toward sales to individuals. Be patient and polite to your local dealer and CAM and you'll get farther faster, IMO, plus it's just the right thing to do.

Save angst for railing against buggy software releases seems to be a good plan. ;-)

Thanks

Trying to get MOL in Australia is more difficult than becoming Prime Minister

Thanks

So become prime minister then request access haha.

Register differently then.... instead of:

Joe Smith
    123 Canberra Lane
    XYZ, ABC

make up a title and organization:

Joe Smith
    Regional Director
    Alpha-1 Emergency Communications Society
    123 Canberra Lane
    XYZ, ABC

Enlist the assistance of your dealer and their Channel Account Manager.

Just some thoughts. Me? I am involved in emergency comms and emergency social services so didn't have to invent a persona but mostly I found it easy because I've got access to a good, local, friendly M dealer that has a good relationship with Motorola. Relationships matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,774 Times in 2,404 Posts

No one should have to pretend they're a whacker or a fake business, just to do business with someone else.

I realize people have to do whatever. But it's still quite lame.

Motorola's business model is anachronistic to be sure but it is what it is. They certainly aren't the only big-corp out there that works this way. Individuals who understand that they don't operate like the local Frys or HRO or Amazon.com, that set their own expectations differently, ought to manage to make it work in the end. Find a "ham friendly" dealer even if you aren't buying for amateur radio - more than likely these shops are more used to smaller customers and will be willing to work with you.

Still you can only buy from someone willing to sell to you so if the local crew isn't offering any joy, there are alternatives, mail order being one albeit CPS is a harder nut to crack than gear itself, it seems. DMR being supported by other makers, there's always Vertex gear (radios anyway if not repeaters) one can acquire and that you can order on-line, for less, and the programming software is free and available. If I was confronted with hostile local Motorola folks, that's probably what I'd be doing.