Thread: XTL2500 Random Rebooting

WiLDRAGoN No Longer Registered

Default XTL2500 Random Rebooting

Hi everyone,

I've got an XTL2500 which reboots itself for reasons I don't understand. 99% of the time it just shuts down and restarts itself within a few seconds of finishing a transmission. The radio gets quite hot when using it for extended overs, but I really don't think it's temperature related, because it can happen within minutes of turning it on when it's still cold, or after using for hours when it's warmed up.

Here are the radio specs...

Model: M21QSM9PW1AN
    Serial: 518CGRxxxx
    FLASHcode: 509008-001684-3
    Firmware: R19.60.05
    DSP: R19.50.00
    CPS: R19.01.00

When I bought it, it had Firmware R19.00.00 and CPS R19.00.00. I updated to CPS R19.01.00 before I ever used the radio, and recently updated to Firmware R19.60.05 hoping to fix the rebooting problem, but it's still happening. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks

I have same problem with my XTL2500. And no tx voice. Maybe the main board damage by static electricity

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

I have observed XTS2500's not usually getting that warm, even after extended transmissions, like during tune ups. If yours is getting abnormally hot, it may have the power set too high, or have other issues with the TX PA. What is the power output level? Have you put it on a wattmeter to see what it's doing, that may give a clue if it's turned up way too high it could definitely be a problem. I would recommend a full alignment if you haven't done it already as a starting point.

Hi Alpha, thanks for the reply. Power output is currently set to 40W, but I haven't put a meter on it to see if that's actually what it's putting out. The radio is actually brand new out of the box only a few months ago. It has been in dry Air-Conditioned storage for the past 3 years until I bought it recently and started using it and discovered the problem. A friend of mine who also bought an XTL2500 from the same seller in the same condition, is also having the same problem, and he only uses his radio at 10W.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Well, until you measure the power output and the drive current it's drawing you can't say it's doing 40W, you have to actually read it. Maybe the guy you got it from had a busted Bird slug that was reading low or something, but the fact that your buddy's is also doing it at 10W output seems very wrong.

Another thing to check: is this heating up condition when hooked to an antenna, or a dummy load? Maybe you have antenna band/tuning issues - again the only way to tell is by measurement, i.e. put a Bird Model 43 on it and see if your SWR is abnormally high. Another technique would be to hook up a dummy load instead of an antenna and see if it still heats up abnormally.

Ok, power output when set to 40W is actually 34W.

The heating condition is when connected to an antenna, yes, while I'm using the radio normally. The SWR is 1.3:1, which is about what I would expect from a commercially made antenna.

Do you think the rebooting is related to the radio overheating, even though it also happens shortly after powering up and hasn't got hot yet?

Thanks

My radio just power on and just standby will also reboot 10~20 times per hour.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Well, 1.3 is a bit high, and might cause a bit of a warmup eventually, but that doesn't sound like the main culprit. You have answered your own question about rebooting, if it's happening when it's not even hot then that's probably not a contributing factor.

What kind of power supply are you using? A vehicle battery or a bench supply of some kind? It sounds like maybe your supply has one of two possible problems, excessive AC in the output DC can cause the heating problem, measure the output with a DMM, you should have less than 1/2 to 1/4 volt AC on the 12V B+ supply, any more and you have ripple or filtering issues.

Related is also possibly why it's resetting after transmission, you might be bouncing or spiking the B+ line. Some poorly regulated supplies will load down during TX then shoot way the hell up in voltage when you release the key-down. Then they rapidly react to the overvoltage by turning the output down to over-compensate and bang! You have a dip in voltage that's enough to reboot the radio. The only way to see this would be on an oscilloscope on the B+ line in one-shot mode, triggered at the time of the de-key.

The cure is either a better, bigger power supply, wires of larger gauge, or a huge-ass capacitor like the guys with the thumping car audio use across the DC supply. Also, a lead-acid battery makes a dandy capacitor for this application, so a car or motorcycle battery across the supply will keep that from happening, preferably a deep-cycle marine or UPS battery.

My home base station had a battery/power supply (old MSF5000 supply) combo for years, running two 100W Syntors. The battery not only functioned as a UPS giving me emergency backup power, but also acted to supplant the power supply enough that I could transmit from both radios at the same time if necessary.

freerider-aust No Longer Registered

i have had the rebooting issue once and a while.a thing i did work out is i had the usb programming plugged in to the computer all the time.i now remove lead when not required this improved a bit.the reboot has occurred on a different radio in the mobile its not really a big issue as it only occurs once and a while

Raytech No Longer Registered

We have had this problem with a few of our XTL5000s. The problem was the RF getting back into the radio. It seemed as if the radio was more prone to rebooting on certain frequencies than others. Some channels never caused it to reboot, while others caused it to reboot every time it was keyed up. Since the antennas we use are less than optimum for the band we're in, this problem reared its ugly head much too often. You may also find that the same problem radio when placed in another vehicle doesn't cause the reboot to occur. Anyway, they sent out two replacement parts, one the large flex cable and the other the encryption board. It has in fact corrected the problem that we were experiencing.

Alpha, thanks for the suggestions. I'll test the PSU when I have a chance.

Raytech, great info, thank you. I'm going to take the head off and re-seat the flex cable, see if that helps. Due to my operating conditions, RF getting into the radio is a strong possibility.

Thank you both!

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

+1 on RF feedback, how close is the radio and mic from the antenna? Try testing the radio into a dummy load or drop to low power and see if the problem is goes away or is at least reduced.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Astro Spectra, the radio is being used at home in a unit. The antenna is balcony mounted, about 5-6 metres away from the radio. I do have the same problem of RF getting back to my other radios, especially my HF gear, also using balcony mounted mobile antennas.

freerider-aust No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Raytech View Post
    We have had this problem with a few of our XTL5000s. The problem was the RF getting back into the radio. It seemed as if the radio was more prone to rebooting on certain frequencies than others. Some channels never caused it to reboot, while others caused it to reboot every time it was keyed up. Since the antennas we use are less than optimum for the band we're in, this problem reared its ugly head much too often. You may also find that the same problem radio when placed in another vehicle doesn't cause the reboot to occur. Anyway, they sent out two replacement parts, one the large flex cable and the other the encryption board. It has in fact corrected the problem that we were experiencing.
    agree it only seem to occur when txing